Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!

Thread: PayPal changing interface - will it matter to osCmax PayPal setups?

PayPal changing interface - will it matter to osCmax PayPal setups?

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Total Contributions For

JRR     $ 180.00

Default PayPal changing interface - will it matter to osCmax PayPal setups?

Has anyone else gotten this note from PayPal?

PayPal service upgrades.

(paypal user name),

As we have previously communicated to you, PayPal is upgrading the certificate for Send Money, Pay Online or Set Up a Merchant Account - PayPal to SHA-256. This endpoint is also used by merchants using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) product.

This upgrade is scheduled for 9/30/2015; however, we may need to change this date on short notice to you to align to the industry security standard.

You’re receiving this notification because you’ve been identified as a merchant who has used IPN endpoints within the past year. If you have not made the necessary changes, we urge you to do so right away to avoid a disruption of your service!
    Because these changes are technical in nature, we advise that you consult with your individuals responsible for your PayPal integration. They will be able to identify what, if any, changes are needed. Please share this email and the hyperlinks below with your technical contact for evaluation.
    Testing in the Sandbox is one of the best ways to make sure your integration works. Sandbox endpoints have been upgraded to accept secure connections by the SHA-256 Certificates.
    Full technical details can be found in our Merchant Security System Upgrade Guide. In addition, our 2015-2016 SSL Certificate Change microsite contains a schedule of our service upgrade plan.
    Thanks for your patience as we continue to improve our services.
    Has anyone checked if this will affect the PayPal interface as used in 2.5.4? I'll try getting into the sandbox (they changed all that since the last time I visited back in 2011/12 and see if it does still work.

I did see that Harald Ponce de Leon has added a module for Braintree (addons.oscommerce.com/info/9080) - which looks like it is the parent company for v.zero (developer.paypal.com) - I may go for that so I can add BitCoin, etc., but the discount rate is 2.9% plus $0.30/transaction.

Grumble...
    Last edited by JRR; 09-18-2015 at 03:14 PM.

osCMax Development Team

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Post Re: PayPal changing interface - will it matter to osCmax PayPal setups?

Jeez, JRR, no need to migrate this nonsense from the osC forum!

PayPal appear to have sent out this blanket email that is worded so poorly as to cause confusion. From what I can gather, it only applies to people sensible enough to use SSL with their e-commerce site. The level of encryption used needs to meet a certain standard.
    Any competent hosting provider should've addressed this about a year ago. By now all domain SSLs should've been reissued using SHA-256 and certainly I was informed on a number of occasions, by my SSL issuers to do this.
    If this all sounds gobbledegook to anyone then I suggest getting in touch with their SSL provider/registrar or hosting provider.
    As mentioned in the osC thread, run an SSL test on your own domain to check if SHA-256 compliant.

The above represents my own assessment of the situation and I could be totally barking up the wrong tree, which has been known to happen.

HTH

Developers resource at bitbucket
    oscmax.co.uk / ejsolutions.co.uk
    Hosting plans with installation, configuration, contributions, support and maintenance.
    *** FREE osCmax hosting available ***
    oscmaxtemplates.com

osCMax Development Team

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Lightbulb Re: PayPal changing interface - will it matter to osCmax PayPal setups?

I'm on a high horse today. Here's a suggestion on how it should be worded (heh).
    If you do not have an SSL certificate for your own website domain then the following will not concern you.

We, at PayPal have been slow to react to upgrading our secure connections to the latest recommended SSL standards. When you connect to our services with SSL, a technical protocol known as SHA-256 will need to be used.

Many SSL certificates will have been already upgraded but in order to ensure a continuation of PayPal services, you are strongly advised to check your own SSL certificates. Use one of the following services to run a test on your domain.
    Examples: https://sslchecker.org , https://sslcompliancy.com [I made these up!]

If your certificate displays as using SHA-1 protocol, rather than SHA-256, then you will need to have your SSL certificate reissued for your domain. If unsure on how to do this then refer to your SSL issuer.
    Isn't this a bit clearer? Identify the problem, if there is one, suggest a solution/course of action.

Hosting plans with installation, configuration, contributions, support and maintenance.
    oscmaxtemplates.com

Total Contributions For

JRR     $ 180.00

Default Re: PayPal changing interface - will it matter to osCmax PayPal setups?

Ah, much clearer - thanks! I do find that PayPal notices are somewhat difficult to translate into English, not to mention links they provide to update information that don't work!

I hadn't seen the osCommerce forum discussion on this (hadn't thought to look), but (of course) I should have gone there first as the basic PayPal module is from that source...

I have been running SSL for a couple of years now, need to make a few more tweaks to get it up to par, but I assume my hosting company has already dealt with the issue of SHA-256 properly as they are a rather large host (Pair.com).

Appreciate the info!

osCMax Development Team

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

Certainly your host looks compliant (SHA256withRSA, though with different issues) but you need to check your own domain.
    I am being deliberately coy here because the information I have is what sets me apart from many hosting providers.

oscmaxtemplates.com

Total Contributions For

JRR     $ 180.00

I am having my provider turn off SSLv3 for my domain, and will see if any of my older customers have trouble...

I am trying to find some way to notify them that they will need to update their browser if they can't use the SSL as a result - mostly this will be customers who use XP and old browsers like IE6. XP isn't the problem, and even the older browsers that run on XP upgraded past SSLv3 prior to the loss of MS support for XP.

(drifting way off topic)
    Interesting that GoDaddy (a number of my pinball parts compatriots use that 'Host') still has SSLv3, perhaps you can turn it off in the Control Panel on GoDaddy...(I despised GoDaddy when I used them as a host, very irritating emails as one part).
    (/drifting way off topic)
    Last edited by JRR; 09-19-2015 at 09:11 AM.

piter hill

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry sir, I don't have any answer, Please Contact an answer.

----------------------------------
    Shopping Site Bhopal