Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!
Page 2 of 3 First 123 LastLast

Thread: postage not being charged in the UK

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

Default Re: postage not being charged in the UK

Right other shipping modules are not appearing because the weight limit is set at 1Kg and because 1Kg is added to every order for no reason the weights were being exceeded. Now that I have increased the maximum weight second class shows but guess what: the rate can't be determined so it comes out at 0 and cvan be selected. This is despite rates being set in the module. I'm fast loosing my patience!

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

of course it can't be determined because there is no price for 1.25Kg (I have marked my product as 0.25Kg so that I'm screwing customers a little less.....) so in the absence of a weight and price it defaults to free WTF ???? seriously I have never known a software to be this bad, it's awful, and I keep getting emails asking for donations ? I'm loosing money here!

I need to find out where that extra Kg is coming from. And considering the average weight of my product is 0.001 Kg this is a massive problem for me..... a show stopper.

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

is my problem that the minimum weight to ship is "1" so if my items are that light I need to switch to grammes ?

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

nope i can only specify in Kg or Lbs, so now what ? Have i got to readjust all my postage options to account for the phantom Kg ?

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

found the bugger, there is a tare weight setting

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

But it is still a mystery as to how someone in the UK bought the most expensive item in the shop and got away with free postage.

osCMax Development Team

postage not being charged in the UK

Total Contributions For

pgmarshall     $ 35.00

If you ship things in grams then use the field for grams - just because it says kilos it does matter it is just a number ... eg. put in 0.001kg or 10g ... it doesn't care.

The system allows you put a weight in for the packaging - Admin -> Configuration -> Shipping / Packaging -> Package Tare weight -> This is for the box, sellotape, packaging - otherwise you will be always under on your weight.

Your issues are caused because you have not setup the shipping modules correctly ... as for a default weight - the system is designed to allow for virtual products (eg. downloads) so you can not have a default weight.

There are options around free shipping as well ... Go to Admin -> Modules -> Order Totals -> Select the "Shipping" row -> Click "Edit" -> Check Allow Free Shipping is set to false or set to the correct level.

Now the store allows you to do all of this complex shipping calculations but most people simply use the price module - eg. £4.95 to ship anything and then free over say £50 - much easier - no need to weigh everything - customer can see what it costs up front - encourages more sales to get free shipping - but the choice is yours ...

Regards,
    pgmarshall

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

The problem for me is that I am simultaneously selling items worth pence and many pounds and that weigh from 0.1g to 100g each so I will need to work on all options. I can't have automatic free shipping for a £0.01 value item because as soon as they buy 2 they are screwed, vthis is the problem i have with ebay. indeed to have fine control over weights and shipping values I can offer the best. Consider a UK to europe postage cost, if it's a £0.01 item value it goes as a letter for £0.85, if it's a £50 item it goes for £10 as it needs to be signed for and is a packet.

osCMax Development Team

postage not being charged in the UK

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

Thumbs down Re: postage not being charged in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by sparkylabs View Post
    .. seriously I have never known a software to be this bad, it's awful, and I keep getting emails asking for donations ? I'm loosing money here!
    It can't possibly be that someone can't be assed LEARNING how to do something, nor read the (admittedly limited) wiki, nor test fully before going live.

For clarity: donations are to help with the running of this website, as it states. Neither PGM nor myself have control over this. The osCmax software is Open Source and freely available for anyone to modify/improve. It is based on an (old) established version of osCommerce and therefore adopts a lot of the flaws inherent in it. Michael_S, PGM, myself and others, have modified the osCommerce base, to primarily improve specific areas for clients. Through making these modifications publicly available, other people receive the benefits.

Putting an item up for sale is an offer to tender and it is up to the seller whether the sale will be honoured. There's nothing to stop a seller from contacting a seller to ask for further payment towards postage costs, for example. Not very efficient/professional but valid nonetheless.
    Last edited by ridexbuilder; 08-24-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Developers resource at bitbucket
    oscmax.co.uk / ejsolutions.co.uk
    Hosting plans with installation, configuration, contributions, support and maintenance.
    *** FREE osCmax hosting available ***
    oscmaxtemplates.com

Total Contributions For

sparkylabs     $ 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by ridexbuilder View Post
    It can't possibly be that someone can't be assed LEARNING how to do something, nor read the (admittedly limited) wiki, nor test fully before going live.
    Not really no. The website had been up and running for a couple of years without any problems when this previously happened and at the same time many other people were buying the same product and paying for postage as they should have.

I possibly haven't read the wiki but was stupid enough to get conned into buying the book advertised on this website which frankly tells you absolutely nothing.

Yes I could have contacted the buyer and made them pay for postage separately but as you say that's not very professional.

It seems that every time I have a problem its pointed out that well the software is faulty and we know that well then why is it being offered? I understand it's free and I'm grateful for people's efforts but at the end of the day it is not fair to offer something known to be defective. This is after all my business and apart from the damage to my reputation and loss of sales or other costs caused by malfunctions I have spent many many hours setting up the software and listing goods knowing full well that most of them will never ever be bought as people prefer to use eBay anyway but I like to offer the option for those who prefer not to. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a commercial package which does all the things this software does most of them seem to be geared up for single item sales with no stock control or weight calculation for postage calculations.

I am only making any money on my own website because of one particular product which I am the sole distributor for in Europe as of one month ago the only other option being buying from Australia and taking pop luck with it arriving in some countries.

I would be happy to contribute towards work being done on the software but if as you say contributions just keep the website running it seems we are in a stalemate where I have to rely on the generosity of developers. If the website is costing that much then perhaps I can offer help in terms of hosting as I am a hosting reseller.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 LastLast