Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!

Thread: 8 digits credit card

altenter

Default 8 digits credit card

hello all,
    i have clients with 8 digits credit card (as well as normal 16 digits cc). seems that cc with 8 digits wont process.
    any idea how to solve it?
    thanks!

red_fraggle

they make credit cards with only 8 digits on them?

gravenimage

None of the top seven credit cards have 8-digit account numbers -- Visa, MC, AmEx, Diners, Discover, enRoute, JCB -- and you'll also find no 8-digit credit cards here. My bet is either they're daft and covering up half the number with their thumb, trying to pull one over on you, or they're used to being SOL and unable to buy anything anywhere with it, ever. Do you have more than one customer with an 8-digit CC#? Maybe process it once manually to see if it's even recognized by your card service.

Reluctantly, and with no warranty, express or implied, I'll answer your question... in your Admin, go to Configuration > Minimum Values and click Credit Card Number, then the Edit button. It's set to 10 by default.

altenter

thank you gravenimage, but it keeps complaining about not accepting that type of credit card.

The first four digits of the number entered are: XYXY
    If that number is correct, we do not accept that type of credit card.
    If it is wrong, please try again.
    any other ideas?
    thanks

btw, 8DCC# do exist (probably not in the US)

gravenimage

I guess I'll learn something here too then
    You'll need to do a couple things that are fairly involved to get it to work then... first the easy part.
    Open up the file /catalog/includes/classes/cc_validation.php in a good programmer's text editor.

Now the hard part.

In the first class listed, You'll see where it validates credit card numbers to check if they're real. For example, all Visa numbers start with 4, so it knows if the selected card is Visa and it doesn't start with a 4, then it's not valid, for example. You'll need to add an extra elseif and write a regular expression to identify the type of card you want to add. That also means you'll have to find out the type of card and the format its numbers take.

You might find some way to add an elseif catchall called "Other" that accepts any 8-digit cc number, but if you're using a payment gateway it'll probably bomb. I think your merchant service could tell you more about how to handle those cards and what they require on their end to process it if you tell them what kind of card it is.

altenter

yes! i need to add another elsif that would catchall my 8DCC#'S.
    would you happen to have one around?
    (no payment gateway here)
    thanks.

altenter

can anyone help with this elseif?

blueginko

Default 8 digit card doubts

I still have doubts about your 8 digit card, it sounds like your user is trying to use a store card (like JC Penny's etc) or possibly a foreign card. Look at the info here http://www.merriampark.com/anatomycc.htm. You can get 14 digits if your cc processor allows Diners (my company allows Diners).

Ths cc_validation appears to be a mod10 and unless you know the validation rules for your user's card, you won't be able to do much other than bypass the cc_validation all together such as an initial

if (len(cc_number) <= {
    skip the processing
    }

sorry if that isn't correct php, I'm still learning php.

I found an article on Mod10 in php here (haven't read it though).
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/car...tion-class-php

Good luck
    Blueginko

blueginko

LOL the smiley was supposed to be the number eight, forgot to disable smileys

Blueginko

Arpit

if you guys need the LUHN Formula aka mod 10 written in php feel free to ask