Full service web hosting, great prices and support. Starts at $1.99/month!

Thread: Cart weight does not honor Unit Weight setting in Admin Panel

ragerbua

Lightbulb Cart weight does not honor Unit Weight setting in Admin Panel

I am not sure anymore whether this is a bugreport or not. Anyway, it might be of use to other shop owners.

The cart weight is not converted between LBS and KGS when switching from English to German/Spanish. The weight count remains the same.

How to reproduce: Install Zone Rates shipping module as this one is showing the cart weight during checkout. Put a product into cart and go to checkout. Zone Rates will show the weight. Go back to catalog, switch language and check out again. The weight unit has changed, but not the count.

This cart behaviour might confuse customers when you run a shop with both units in use and a shipping module which shows the cart weight. A shop which uses just one unit or doesn't show the cart weight is not affected at all.

The weight unit text string originates from catalog/includes/languages/CHOOSE_A_LANGUAGE/zones.php. So I assume the Unit Weight setting in Admin Panel is for admin side only.

I stumbled across this behaviour when i was playing around with a very easy to integrate shipping estimator:
    http://www.oscmax.com/forums/custom-...le-panier.html
    Last edited by ragerbua; 06-19-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: grammar/extra information

osCMax Development Team

Cart weight does not honor Unit Weight setting in Admin Panel

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Total Contributions For

ridexbuilder     $ 15.00

Post Re: Cart weight does not honor Unit Weight setting in Admin Panel

The display of weight units is purely a textual description - there is no weight conversion. A change in language should NOT change the displayed unit of measure - it needs to remain the same. [Not all English speaking countries are stuck in the obsolete imperial units of measure, though I still think in lb & inches.] To do otherwise, would require a conversion function that applied changes to all 'shipping' (sic) modules, where weight based postage is used.

In fact (inherited from osCommerce) there should be more options made available, ounces and g (as well as a correction of the bad CAPITALS - Kg - there is no plural). These are, however, only text strings that can be changed within the code files, not just Admin. It is one of those fundamental details that gets glossed over in favour of adding more features.
    Last edited by ridexbuilder; 06-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Developers resource at bitbucket
    oscmax.co.uk / ejsolutions.co.uk
    Hosting plans with installation, configuration, contributions, support and maintenance.
    *** FREE osCmax hosting available ***
    oscmaxtemplates.com