PDA

View Full Version : osCMax2 too slow?

taddesign
01-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi, I hope I haven't discovered something I don't want to. It seems like the osCmax2 version is slower (per page loading) than osC2. I thought newer, more advanced (<div></div>, tpl.php, etc.) was supposed to be better. :(

There's no way I want these bells/whistles if they slow down the page loading for my visitors.

Is it mandatory to use "cache" features to speed up the page loading? Or are all the "calls" (customer ID this, price ID that) hogging the page loading time?

I have osC2 (with mods/customizations) running alongside osCmax2 so it's not a server thing. My osC loads in half the time per page with no cache on.

Please advise, anyone.

Thanks,

TADD

michael_s
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
osCMax is actually much faster than standard osCommerce, with all the seo and cacheing enhancements, and is even faster without cacheing as osCMax also has many queries optimized for speed and has removed redundant or inefficient queries present in standard osCommerce. Many of the functions have also been optimized for speed, and the database has been indexed a little better too.

Most likely you are using one of the DHTML menus instead of the standard menu... They are painfully slow when you have a lot of categories and subcategories and that is true on both osCommerce and osCMax.

josemanuel
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Michael,
I found the site slow until I turned on Page Caching and added the Config Cache from Chemo. That helped on the Catalog side.

However, I am suffocating under the page loads in the admin side. I wonder if you have some idea on what to do to speed up the Admin section? I have it password protected and in a secure directory on my server (could that slow it down?)

michael_s
02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
All pages in the admin are slow or just specific sections?

If all are slow, it is your server. If just specific ones, which?

josemanuel
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
It is all pages. But it seems new. My SQL file is only about 3mb. I wonder if I may have overloaded with a contribution.

If it is my server, could it be something that I can fix? I fixed a similar problem on the catalog by working on the Page Cache. Is there a setup for the Admin to solve that?

michael_s
02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
All admin pages load instantly for me, so you have something else going on for sure.

Perhaps optimize/repair your db tables to start. You may have some overhead slowing things down. Next, you want to check the server load and make sure the machine is not bogged down.

Finally, if you have added contributions beyond the osCMax package, that is most likely the source of your trouble.

josemanuel
02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks Michael. I am not sure why the Admin would take a long time but not the Catalog. However, that tells me you are probably right.

As a newbie, can you please explain a safe process for optimizing and repairing the tables?

josemanuel
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh- it is in the PHPmyADMIN. I hope this works. This is tedious waiting for each page load.

Mushroom
02-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Admin pages load slow for me as well. So do my catalog pages. Watching my netwok ( in my real job ) it's a DNS issue.
However, if this is something you might have recently noticed, be aware there are ongoing attacks on the root servers and that will delay actions. Micheal wouldn't see it because he is 'local' to his server.
It's a very big deal right now in the commercial world.

michael_s
02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Actually, I am not local to the admin on any of the installs. I have to access them remotely via the internet just like everyone else.

The attacks on the internet have luckily not affected me at all, and it is business as usual for me :)

josemanuel
02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
To simply embarrass myself, I will explain what was the problem and how I solved it. Months ago, I installed a contribution for Autobackup while in the Admin section. I forgot about it. I later installed a visitor tracking contribution that populates the db tables all the time. The autobackup has a bug that runs a backup on every page load in the admin. I fixed it to only backup on the initial entrance into the admin area- so it backs up automatically- but only once per admin login.

At least I still have high confidence in oscMax as a solid and great site foundation.