PDA

View Full Version : Authorize.net Cryptic Error messages

Christy
12-18-2005, 07:58 PM
What an asset "Recover Cart Sales" has been. I have watched though admin and called some of the customers and gained some useful information.
- Lot of people dont select the payment methods and get an error. many customers feel frustrated after a couple of atempts and leave.
I found a fix for this in the forums"<body onload="selectRowEffect(this, 0)"> in main_page_tpl.

it seems to work but in some forums somene had claimed it caused errors. Is this safe to use?

--Most people dont like the geeky , cryptic errors authorize.net produces..egb "TEXT_CCVAL_ERROR_UNKNOWN_CARD" "TEXT_CCVAL_ERROR_INVALID_DATE". When I emailed a customer from recover cart, he replied that he had abandoned purchase because he felt insecure after looking at the cryptic error message. he thought the site was not working properly and left because he wouldnt want to put his credit card information in a dysfuntional site.
So is there anyway, these errors could be made more readable and explanatory?

- Finally, today one customer abandoned after his card got declined today. I ended up calling him, he said after his legit card got declined twice, he assumed that the site wasnt legit and left. When I ran his card on authorize.net directly, card was declined again. When i asked him if his billing address was different, he told me that he had recently moved to the area. Later he gave me a different card, which worked fine. if the error message had been more explanatory, he would have not abandoned the purchase

cabana
12-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I have the same issue. I don't think my store even gives a cryptic message. It just returns customers to the billing page where they reenter the info just be be returned again. It is a cycle that my customers do twice and then leave. I also figured this out via Recover carts. (A contribution my partner originally wrote) Any solutions to this problem would benefit a number of us I am sure. Thanks for bringing this up.

--Josh