PDA

View Full Version : Problem with adding/ using images!

jsp_1983
11-18-2005, 03:01 AM
Okay, more problems!

i) I can't seem to get the the default product image on the product description page to 'pop-up' to full size. There's no magnifying glass and nothing happens when you try to click on the small image, but I suspect it's actually the full-size image just resized (as I set it to).

ii) Shouldn't there be some option to add additional images on the product admin page? I'm not seeing anything to let me do that!

jsp_1983
11-18-2005, 03:55 AM
Okay, it's occurred to me that I might not be getting the grasp of this Dynamic MoPics thing as well as I should be.

Does anybody know where I can find some (useful) documentation about how to actually use it in relation to adding new products?

There must be something on it, somewhere, surely? I just can't find it!

michael_s
11-18-2005, 09:33 AM
http://oscdox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pag ename=DynamicMoPicsSetup

jsp_1983
11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Okay, thanks, but I'm still a bit confused.

With the 'imagebase' setting, it sounds slightly confusing. Rather than ask how this works, could somebody give me an example of the naming convention I should use for, say, five products and what the 'imagebase' setting should be?

At the moment, I have my images named as my stock code followed by the supplier's code, but I get the feeling this won't be acceptable to Dynamic MoPics.

michael_s
11-18-2005, 10:36 AM
The imagebase is just the filename minus the extension.

Filename: example_image.jpg

Imagebase: example_image

Then you put your brackets on either side of the imagebase depending on how you want to construct the filename, for example and add in the scheme you want to use, in this case numbers:

imagebase{1} would produce example_image1.jpg

imagebase_{1} would produce example_image_1.jpg

Just match it to your actual image naming scheme. What is confusing about that?

Also remember that these rules only apply to EXTRA images for your product, not the default image that you will use. For the default image, the filename will set the imagebase (say it is named example_image.jpg, this sets the imagebase that dynamic mopics will use), and the naming pattern will then tell dynamic mopics what naming pattern to look for to find any extra images for that product.

jsp_1983
11-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Hmm. This seems to be far too complicated and restrictive for what I want (it'll mean having to rename every stock picture I have, which relies on using a stock code).

Is it relatively easy to remove Dynamic MoPics from an installation?

I want to use Ultrapics, for simplicity's sake. Is it quite easy to integrate?

michael_s
11-19-2005, 06:44 AM
It still sounds like you are not getting the gist entirely, as there is nothing complicated or restrictive about it. It is simply organized and efficient.

So say you have a stock picture : stock111.jpg

That will be your main image that you add to the product page in the admin panel.

Now say you have 5 extra images for the product stock111. You will have to name them something other than stock111, right? So just name them 1_stock111.jpg, 2_stock111.jpg, 3_stock111.jpg, etc.. and a copy goes in the images_big dir and the thumbs dir. Make sure your imagebase setting looks like this {1}_imagebase

Just by doing that, the images will now automatically display on the correct product page. Nothing more needs to be done. It is the easiest, fastest way to do it. Nothing at all complicated or restrictive about it, and much much faster than manually adding all the images to your products, one by one.

The way it knows the extra images are related is that they all have the same image base (stock number in this case) and the 1_, 2_ indicate the multiple images and allow the thumbs and big images to be matched up and dispayed automatically.

You can easily rename all the files (adding the extension to the stock number) in about a minute (even if you have thousands), using a file renamer. If you ask me, hacking in a new php module to osCMax and removing mopics is far more complicated than simply renaming files. If you still want to go that route, there is not really any need to remove mopics, just install UltraPics and remove the mopics call from your product_info.tpl.php file.

jsp_1983
11-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Okay, thanks for the help so far.

I think before I go any further, I might be getting my wires crossed here.

At first, for the first picture of a product I added the normal picture to the product admin page. The problem I am having is that there is no option to display the picture at its normal size on the production information page, either automatically or when clicked on, to open as a popup.

Therefore, I thought that this was down to naming conventions and having to have more than one file for each picture, even when only one picture was to be used for an item.

I'm not quite sure of the best way to describe the problem really. Perhaps it is best if you see for yourself at www.seductionbybasics.co.uk

Am I still getting my wires crossed, or is Dynamic MoPics used even for the first item picture?

jsp_1983
11-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Oh great! I've made slight progress! I've managed to get it slightly working...

cTak
12-20-2005, 11:00 AM
I think I had the same confusion as jsp. Im now understanding that MoPics is MORE PICS, basicly allows you to display MORE images of a certian product. What HE wanted, and what I want as well, is a tool to make a thumbnail(instead of resizing the HUGE image on the page) and then make a ZOOM link to view the big image in a pop up. Any suggestions for that ?

michael_s
12-20-2005, 02:04 PM
There are several auto thumbnailers for osC already out there. Look in the contributions section at osCommerce.com.

You could simply use photoshop or some other free thumbnailer like xat to pre-make the thumbs and then just upload them to the correct directory you set in Dynamic Mopics (usually /images/thumbs). Then upload the big images to the big images dir...