PDA

View Full Version : Paypal bug? or can I change this setting?

rockinrory
10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Hello everyone and thank you in advance!

I have ran into an issue. When someone decides to start the check out process (using paypal) and they get to the screen where they enter their paypal information, if they cancel. OscMax 2.0 see this as an order. So I get excited! Then I log into paypal and there is no money... so I get bummed.

Is there a way to set this to only show if the order is actually being processed by paypal?

When I set this up I followed the tutorial found on this site (every single step).

So any suggestions that you may have? I have big open ears.

Thank you,

Rockinrory

michael_s
11-01-2005, 05:14 AM
No, there is no way around this. Read the documentation on the Paypal IPN module. In order for IPN to work, the module must prepopulate the database.

Your other alternative is worse. If the customer gets to paypal and pays, then does not click through to complete the order back to your site, the payment will post in paypal and NOT show up in your store, resulting in angry customers who think you are trying to rip them off.

The Paypal IPN module is designed to avoid this problem, but it has to pre-populate the order into osC database in order to work.

rockinrory
11-01-2005, 06:01 AM
Thank you for your assistance.

timbrrr
11-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I too had that same problem, and it came to light when an order came in, and I assumed I had been paid, and shipped out the order. Luckily, the person that I sent it to contacted me and said that he didnt order the product, and was only testing my site, and agreed to ship it back.
What I did was change the order status in the payment module (under "Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status") to say "payment received- processing" vs just processing. That way when the IPN is triggered by paypal, I can visibly see in the orders which ones have been triggered by the paypal IPN by the "Received payment" status. Its not fool-proof, but at least you dont continually go into your paypal account to try and find it each time.
Hope that helps!