PDA

View Full Version : Installation Directory Question

PurdiceLTD
10-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi,

Have a quick question that I can't find an answer to on the forum and also in the installation guide.

I've installed a near-final version of OsCMax from scratch and checked I can get it to work with a few template changes etc. The result can be seen at www.purdicehome.com/catalog.

The question I have is where should I have unload the files on the server to?

The installation guide seems to say unload into a catalog folder. I've done this and the result is to see the website you have to use the address above. I assume if I unload onto the root the site will display if you type in www.purdicehome.com in the browser. Only thing is that I am concerned that having the files at the top of the website causes security problems?

My security worries may be unfounded. I'm pretty new to this but I have read all over the forum today and given setting the site up a good go so thought I would see if anyone can help me with this last step.

As a side thought I wondered if you could create a file to tell anyone who visits www.purdicehome.com to go to www.purdicehome.com/catalogue but this seems like an improper shortcut that could cause future problems.

Also noticed that the homepage/shipping pages etc can't be written to and wondered if this was because of the way I've unzipped everything to the catalog directory. Otherwise suspected it may be chmod related but thought it was best to deal with the main question first.

Many thanks for any help and support, and thanks for such a great mod to osCommerce.

Ash

jpf
10-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Answer - any where - including HOME is okay - all important files (for security) are in a separate sub-directory.

redirect.....no problem....

Make index.html file in your root directory with the following:

=========================================
<SCRIPT>
location="http://www.myserver.com/catalog"
</SCRIPT>
=====================================

Whenever somebody types in www.myserver.com they get automatically diverted to www.myserver.com/catalog

PurdiceLTD
11-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the useful reply.