PDA

View Full Version : Image sizing problems

AJ
02-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Has anyone found the trick to the correct image sizes to use in osCommerece. All my pictures look distorted.

I've went so far as to editing all my pictures with Jasc Paint Shop, resizing them all to same size, and playing with the image size settings from within the osCommerece administration settings.

I can not seem to balance it. Some images look great, others small and distorted, while others are large and way to magnified.

Any suggestions, ideas on this please ?

Thanks!

AJ

michael_s
02-23-2003, 03:20 PM
In the admin, just set one dimension. Leave the other blank. For example, only set the width to 100, and leave the height blank. Make sure 'calculate image size' is on.

AJ
02-23-2003, 04:01 PM
As always, thank you. Worked perfectly.

:)

doug
02-26-2003, 12:59 AM
This unfortunately really only works if the images are all either the same shape and orientation. If you have the problem I have which is I have square (no problems), portrait and landscape rectangles (big and little problems). In this case I have to rotate the portraits to landscape or visa versa!

michael_s
02-26-2003, 07:19 AM
How so? I have images that are different shapes, sizes and orientation, and it works at keeping them scaled properly without any problem at all...

doug
02-26-2003, 04:05 PM
It is not that Osc doesn't keep them scaled it is just that if I set the width as 100 then a picture of a pen for instance that is lying down (ie landscape 500 wide x 30 high) is only 100 pixels wide an about 6 high where as a glue stick which is already 100 pixels wide by 500 pixels high stays as is. What would be better for me would be to have some logic to scale the height or the width to say 100 based on the orientation of the image. Before you suggest setting both hieght and width I have tried that too without a satisfactory result.

Dr_Evil
04-23-2003, 03:58 AM
You could take the images into Photoshop and scale them to a standard. If there are a few you could do it by hand.

If there are heaps then you can set up an action in Photoshop. Basically, it records a set of actions taken (like standardising an image size) and then you can re-run that action and off it goes. Great for mundane things.

judoka
05-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi everybody, there is a program that I use call Resize, that is very easy to use and will resize all your jpeg to what ever size you want. All you have to do is put all the jpeg in a folder, point Resize to it, tell it what size and quality you want your jpeg, click go and in seconds you will have a new folder with all your new resize jpeg, while still keeping your original jpeg in the original folder. What I do is I size them to whatever size I want my popup to be, and than after I install them into Osc I set the dimension in admin. It work really great for me. And the best part is that it is freeware. :D 8) :D You can download it at http://kstudio.fr.st Hope this help, let me know. 8) 8)

Picman
05-29-2003, 06:19 AM
A little tip on preparing you images for your store:

I had a client give me his sales catalogue images on cd in a lot of different formats including .eps files and in varying sizes.
The quickest method I found for converting all these images to a standard format and size was to have Photoshop automatically create an online gallery. I then deleted all but the images folder which had all files ready to upload.
I used Photoshop but I know there are many programs that can create galleries for you.

As for the pen image mentioned above I would suggest that you either photgraph only a detail section of the pen or place it diagonally in the frame.

Arpit
05-29-2003, 10:05 AM
hey,
I had very similar probs as u but i found this amazin trick, I think VJ and Ian deserve the credit for it. Check out the URL below, and hopefuly ur probs shall b gonen :D

http://forums.oscommerce.com/viewtopic.php?t=38391

Arpit

sophiess
06-09-2003, 08:10 PM
i enter value "0" for both image width and height (when i don't want oscommerce to resize my image) and it seemed to work out fine.

madness
06-02-2004, 09:10 AM
there is also a great contrib for that, "auto thumbnails"

blythee
09-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone,

These are some great tips. I recently had a similar problem. It was frustrating to use photoshop and adjust the image sizes and then realize they are distorted on my online catalog since it is not the same dimensions. So, I left both parameters blank in my online catalog. Now, I don't need to worry if the images are 300x300 or 530x200. If you want to see what I mean come to my site: www.blythedressingroom.com and click on " shop " icon.

Cheers,
Blythee :D

groggory
11-25-2004, 03:21 AM
The way I've dealt with an image similar to a pen is I make a canvas the size I want, then put the image on the canvas. It's a minute or so of work, but you should only have to do it to images that are exceptions to the norm.

Oh, and for mass resizing, the built in features of ACDsee are wonderful. Then crank it all through Photoshop 'optimize for web' to get the filesizes down. If you have alot to do, just record an action in photoshop and build a batch job.

KainGNX
08-09-2005, 07:32 AM
I am currently developing a site for my work, and have created a class that will automatically create thumbnails for every product just before display, if a thumbnail does not exist. You have to have the GD library installed inrder to use this, and also two simple tables have to be added to the default OSC DB. You are allowed to have non square dimensions for you thumbnail box, and the thumbnails themselves.

The reason I have created this is because with our site we will have different boxes with different thumbnail sizes. When declaring the box class, you tell it the ID of that box, this in turn calls to one of the new tables to tell it what the max height and dimensions should be of the thumbnails.

The second table is used to store item # number sets(comma delimited) for each box, being that there are certain products that will want be featured, not just random products or how ever they come out in a query. This allows us to place products in any box and have it create the proper thumbnails image size where ever the product may appear. No "squishing" of a larger image through HTML, what you see is what you get.

Its pretty straightforward once you declare the class, you can code how you want your products displayed, it also adds "SPECIAL!" before the title of items on special.

delphi1
09-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Although some advise against it I use Paint/Windows. R/Click edit and go to image then stretch and skew. So long as you put in the same proportions your image will not skew.

michael_s
09-06-2005, 08:16 AM
So attach the code already. Your post is nice, but without the code it is not very helpful...