PDA

View Full Version : How to edit Max with htmlarea?

RCarlton
12-10-2004, 09:03 AM
How do I get the htmlarea program stared to edit Max?

michael_s
12-10-2004, 09:21 AM
It is installed by default. It is used to edit Product Descriptions, Define Mainpage (main page center content) and email correspondence.

akanowicz
12-10-2004, 11:52 AM
I see it enabled in my Configuration; but don't see it on the product description page.
Am I missing something?

michael_s
12-10-2004, 01:39 PM
It only works with IE. If you are using another browser, you are out of luck.

goaskmom
12-10-2004, 06:05 PM
I had the same problem. Found out that when it "Advanced" which is the default setting, it doesn't show any menu, but when I change them all to basic, it shows them all.

akanowicz
12-10-2004, 07:26 PM
goaskmom: I'm on a Mac...
Does anyone know if there is an html plugin that will work on a non-IE browser?
IE sucks anyway...

michael_s
12-10-2004, 08:08 PM
I agree, IE is bad, but the version of htmlarea installed only works with IE. There is a new version of htmlarea that may be cross browser compatible. Check out their website:

http://www.htmlarea.com/

goaskmom, the advanced htmlarea works just fine for me.

goaskmom
12-11-2004, 12:40 PM
I've installed 1.7 over 10 times trying to "see" the html area. I finally changed it to basic from advanced and it all showed right up. I have no idea what the advanced version does or doesn't do.

I'm on XP Home Edition, SP2.

If I had a clue what to trouble shoot, I would, but I have no concept of how the htmlarea works.

Oh well, basic is fine with me (since I don't know any different!).

michael_s
12-11-2004, 04:14 PM
The advanced just has a lot more bells and whistles. Lots of neato buttons that do neato formatting things. Same basic editor though.

I have installed max on xp, 2000, 98, and several different linux flavors many hundreds of times. It always works in advanced mode, so I would be willing to bet it is something specific to your setup that is causing it to fail in advanced mode. It could simply be a file permssion thing.

red_fraggle
12-12-2004, 05:08 PM
It never works for me in advanced mode either, the menu buttons dont show up until i view it in basic mode. I have had several clients tell me this as well. I have even tried several different java engines to see if that helped to no avail.

Of well who actually uses the html editor anyway :P

michael_s
12-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey, login to the demo of oscmax and see if you can view advanced editor. It is setup in advanced mode, and I can see it with no problems when I login.

Demo:
http://demo.oscmax.com/admin/

login: [email protected]
pw: demo1

If you can see it, then there is something with your osc server/setup causing it to fail.

If you cannot see it, then it is most likely a browser/computer config issue.

Either way, you have somewhere to begin troubleshooting, since it is working fine on the demo admin, and I can verify it.

goaskmom
12-13-2004, 05:38 AM
I can see it in the demo. I see the normal non-html box with text in it and then under that, I see the advanced html box. Is that what it's supposed to look like?

michael_s
12-13-2004, 06:30 AM
That is what it is supposed to look like in debug mode...

red_fraggle
12-13-2004, 10:00 AM
logging in and choosing "Tools" > "Define Languages" > mainpage.php all i get is a "text box" a save button and a cancel button. Here is a screen shot. http://www.hyperactivehosting.com/images/osc_max_no_html.jpg

michael_s
12-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Cliff, it is a problem with your browser, I think. The advanced editor is available and usable in the demo when I visit it using IE version:

IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

Remeber, you must use IE in order to see it, or the code defaults to the text box.

red_fraggle
12-17-2004, 10:28 AM
I am using the EXACT same version of IE as you....You can see from my screen shot I am using IE.

michael_s
12-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Yep, that points to a problem with your local setup somewhere. I have tested this on 4 different machines and it works on all of them. Think about it, 5 computers run the same exact javascript, using the same software. One machine doesn't display it properly. It makes sense to me to check the machine that is not working.

red_fraggle
12-17-2004, 01:34 PM
well ya mike, i figured it wasa machine problem LOL....What i am trying to figure out, since im not the only one with this problem, is "what exactly on our systems" causes the problem...

I have a client who uses MAC's exclusively and he cant view it in advanced or basic mode lol, he is really screwed...I am just trying to find out what the problem is so we can all benefit from the answer.

michael_s
12-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Cliff, I am not being clear.

Let me try again. There is no possible way for me to troubleshoot this, since I have the same setup as you, and it works.

As for possible causes and where I would start looking:
Firewall (hardware and software), Java/Security settings in the browser, spyware.

red_fraggle
12-17-2004, 02:33 PM
i wasnt trying to get you to trouble shoot it mike, my part in this thread is as one of a large group of "friends" who share information, relate each others issues and look for someone who may have happened on a solution.

Sorry if i came off as being a person who "was looking to msasek" to solve my problem which i wasnt. I was more curious about this wierd issue and just posting what information on my end i had to work with.

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!

Dont you know i dont use anything except MAX for our customers? There is a reason i respect you, and the work you do, and why i tell my clients your verison of OSC is the ONLY version of osc worth using.

michael_s
12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Cliff, no problem, I did not take any offense or think you wanted me to troubleshoot for you. I was trying to give suggestions, but not being very clear.

Anyway, here is a potential fix for you:

In IE under Tools :arrow: Internet Options

Click on the Security tab.

In the dialog box, make sure your innternet zone is set to Medium security, not high. The editor will not work with High security enabled or a custom security level that disables javascript.

red_fraggle
12-17-2004, 03:53 PM
i usually run mine in LOW as i run firewall and AV so dont worry to much about security, I'll try it though and see on your demo store.

michael_s
12-18-2004, 11:46 PM
If it is a software firewall like, that can also kill it.

Try turning off your firewall if possible just to test. Also disable AV to test. I have run into issues with both before.

stewj1
12-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I don't know if this will help anybody else, but I was having issues with htmlarea, and for the heck of it I replaced the admin/htmlarea folder (and all contents), with the new updated version from the OSC contributions, and it resolved the issues I was having. I didn't think it would work, but it did. Hope this might help.

goaskmom
02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Okay, been working with my regular html area, since the advanced doesn't work for me, and also creating links doesn't work either, as the popups that come up for links are sized so that the enter buttons are off the screen, so I can't do anything with them.

I always end up putting them in using the html instead, but recently, I was working in Mambo, and noticed I have been putting links up in Mambo all along, using what seems to be the same html area program. How comes this works in Mambo and not in OSCMAX, all on the same server?

Any ideas?