PDA

View Full Version : File Download Not Working

Keilup
10-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Installed MS2-Max 1.7. I enabled all the download features. I've set up attributes for the product. Permissions on /download is 755 and /pub is 777. I double-checked my filename and it's correct. I've set a product with 0 weight and $0 so it's free. I go through the checkout process and successfully get the download link/button. However, when I click on the link it doen't work. It goes to a blank browser page with this address:
http://mypathtostore/download.php/order/3/id/pub/.dfssqebwzbvwrht/myfile.exe

I'm stumped on why the download doesn't actually happen.

Keilup
10-31-2004, 01:50 PM
After hours of researching and trial and error, I finally found a solution. Wanted to post since it seems to be a bit odd and I don't understand why it works this way.

Turns out that even though I'm on a Linux host, I had to turn download redirect off. On top of that I also had to set CHMOD for download directory to 777 rather than 755.

cupido
11-05-2004, 05:32 PM
I saw your posting and thought I might get some help since it seems you got your site working. First can you tell me if there are instructions anywhere on what changes/things to do list...on getting a site with downloadable products to work. 2nd can you give me a link to your site so I can see how it is suppose to look. Thanks

Keilup
11-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Cupido,

My site is www.eboxofstuff.com. However I haven't yet launched my store live. I'm still working on my whole package of stuff before launching including my site, the store, and a forum. Also, my store is very, very small. Two free downloads and one pay. It might seem osCommerce is a bit overkill for this, but I wanted the control over my download that osCommerce provides and I didn't want to have to spend much time managing it ongoing while knowing who is getting the product.

Anyway, is there any specific problem you're having? I found all my solutions by searching here or over on the osCommerce forum. Here's a couple things:
1. Turn on downloads in Admin
2. Downloads Redirect should be on for Unix systems according to the help but in my case it had to be off
3. Set your pub directory to 777
4. Set your download directory to 777 - I've seen 755 too but in my case it only worked with 777. If there is a disadvantage to using 777 on download, I don't know what it is.
5. Add your product for download.
6. You MUST assign an attribut to your product or the download link won't appear after checkout. For the Option name I used "Version x" and for the Option value I used "Download: Windows-English".
7. Be sure your file (i.e. "myfile.exe") is in the download directory
8. In the product attributes, there is a field that says "Filename". This is where you put "myfile.exe". No path information. You also specify the number of days the download link is available and the number of downloads allowed.

That should be it.

cupido
11-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Hello,

Thanks so much for the reply. What a hair pulling experience. I tweaked and tweaked on this thing and couldn't get it to work. Used your suggestions and got it right to the edge of working and then after reading some docs on another board I found the last piece of the puzzle. Someone else was having the same problem and the suggestion was made to change the "Set Order Status" under "Modules" in the Administration panel to: "Delivered".
That was all it took and my site seems to work. Please send me an email when your site goes live. I'll be interested in seeing how it looks.
Thanks a million!

[email protected]

Keilup
11-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Ah yes. I completely forgot about the order status. I had found that through searching early on. Glad you got it working.

My site won't win any innovative awards. It's fairly simplistic. My knowledge of Web technology is not at the novice level but it certainly isn't at the expert level. I'd love to do more, but alas I just don't have the time to learn/play and do anything more fancy.

One thing I did do was learn CSS-P some time ago and built my site with CSS-P. My existing site is pure CSS-P and the upcoming change is just additional content to what I already have. My store is nothing special. It is the standard OSC template with some small tweaks. I'm also adding a phpBB2 forum as well. That's it.

groggory
11-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Post your findings in the wiki. http://www.oscdox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pag ename=Ms2MaxContribs

I made a section for people to explain how they hack various contribs into MAX

michael_s
12-01-2004, 07:18 AM
This info has been added to the wiki:

http://www.oscdox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pag ename=DownloadSetup

rick
12-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the information.

I finally have our downloads working now.

I have a question though. Let's say the number of downloads has been used and/or the exiry date has past. How can you reinitialize a download for a client?

Thanks

Rick

michael_s
12-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Rick,

Either set the initial numbers higher or have them purchase again ;). The whole point of the expiration and limiting downloads is for the express purpose of generating more sales.

You can also edit the date in the database.

08-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Hello,

I am a new user. I just want to sell downloadable products, but I don´t get to work even the sample "unreal tournament" product. I do not know how to link the product to the file itself and maybe that is the problem.

Can somebody advice. Thank you