PDA

View Full Version : Easy Populate not working

oscmax456
06-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I am trying to use EasyPopulate but it didn't work.

I created a file with the Catalog > EasyPopulate and used the Export EP or Froogle Products File option.

The file created was:EP2012Jun16-2109.csv and is is stored in www.mystore.com/catalog/backups.

Then I uploaded this file with Upload and Import EP File option and I get many messages like this:

No products_model field in record. This line was not imported: | AABox Web Hosting | Web Hosting for the 21st centrury (http://www) | SOL-50 LA- | 50 Plat | 290 | AABox Web Hosting | Web Hosting for the 21st centrury (http://www) | HWS-50-75 | 10 | Heat Exhan | 2012-07-16 | USD

I have all my directories and files permissions set to 777.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

PS. I don't have a file www.mystore.com/allprods.php in my system according to the manual.

pgmarshall
06-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Do you have model references for all your products?

Without them EasyPopulate will not work ... it should tell you when you open the easypopulate page in admin in a red warning box.

You shouldn't need to change you directory permissions as it is posting data in to the database not the directory structure.

Otherwise ... are you using a mac and excel? There is sometimes an issue with the .csv format used and I have to use OpenOffice (which is free) to get compatible .csv files to upload.

Regards,

oscmax456
06-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Thank for your reply.

Do you have model references for all your products?

You mention if I have all model references of all products: do you mean if I have the products images in the www.mystore.com/images/products directory?
If so, yes.
All I did was to write a file with Export EP or Froogle Products File option (EP2012Jun16-2109.csv) and read it back with Upload and Import EP File option. I didn't do any editing to the Catalog > Categories / Products and to the csv file.

Without them EasyPopulate will not work ... it should tell you when you open the easypopulate page in admin in a red warning box.

I don't see red warnings or any warni

Otherwise ... are you using a mac and excel? There is sometimes an issue with the .csv format used and I have to use OpenOffice (which is free) to get compatible .csv files to upload.
I also use OpenOffice within Ubuntu 10.10.

Thank you again.

pgmarshall
06-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Model references - I don't mean images - I mean the field marked Ref/Model when you edit a product. Without a unique value for each of your products in this field easy populate will not work.

oscmax456
06-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Model references - I don't mean images - I mean the field marked Ref/Model when you edit a product.

pgmarshall,

Yes I do have unique Ref/Model names; letters mixed with number such as HWS20-58.

All I did was to export EP and inport EP. I didn't even open the csv file, however I did open the file now and I notice some strange thing about a csv file. Please see to first and second lines of the csv file below.
I don't see tabs but I see comas (,) and the columns begin and end with double quotes ("link") and the line ends with "EOREOR"
I wonder if the comas must be tabs and if it is so how do I set oscmax EP to write the csv file with tabs.

"link","title","description","price","image_link","id","quantity","product_type","expiration_date","currency","EOREOR"

"http://www.mysite.com/product_info.php?products_id=1&language=1","""Split Pressure Heater""","""Co-axial Tube with Copper Pipe. 20 tubes 6' x 2 1/4" (1.80 m x 5.8 cm). Included aluminium frame.""",899.89,"http://www.mysite.com/images/products/1.jpg","HWS20-58",10,"Pressure Heater","2012-07-18","USD","EOREOR"

Thank you.

pgmarshall
06-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the example - this may have solved your issue. You have got a ' in your description which is unescaped ... So easypopulate is reading 'Co-axial Tube with Copper Pipe. 20 tubes 6' as one field then expecting a , however in your file it gets x hence the issue.

Can you check this as they should be replaced with &quot ; or be escaped using \. Check your product descriptions for " ' which have not been escaped.

Regards,

oscmax456
06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the example - this may have solved your issue. You have got a ' in your description which is unescaped ... So easypopulate is reading 'Co-axial Tube with Copper Pipe. 20 tubes 6' as one field then expecting a , however in your file it gets x hence the issue.

pgmarshall,

Thank you for spotting the issue with the single quote. The 6' is a short hand for 6 feet. In my product description I have lots of single quotes representing feet, so I have to edit them out.
Hopefully this will work.
BTW ln my system the oscMax2.5 easypopulate writes a comma as a delimiter instead of a tab, is there something that I have to set-up so it writes a tabs?

Again, thank you for your help. I will post the results as soon as it.

Regards.

pgmarshall
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
It always uses a comma - Excel and other programs know to switch these in to columns.

Try a couple of products and export just one category and check it works before going through all your products ...

Regards.

ridexbuilder
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
It always uses a comma - Excel and other programs know to switch these in to columns.

Try a couple of products and export just one category and check it works before going through all your products ...

Regards.

I've always been an advocate of using tab as a delimiter (saves a lot of messing about) - read the included documentation. If you were more observant on the EasyPopulate screen then you'd see the link!

oscmax456
06-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Try a couple of products and export just one category

pgmarshall,

Sorry for being slow in the follow up.

In advance I want to thank you all for given me good support.

I have made some progress: osCmax 2.5 Easy Populate Froogle csv did not work for me.
And again all I did was to export easy populate and Upload and Import EP File.

But I wasn't going to take this defeat laying down, so I tried Export EP Complete csv and EP Custom csv and to my delight it worked just fine.
I have exported EP with Complete and Custom options csv files and then edited the files.
I added new product and imported and they all worked well.

Here is a summary of the Upload and Import EP File csv file:

File uploaded.
Temporary filename: /tmp/php3WwrWu
User filename: EP2012Jun23-1402-froogle-short.csv
Size: 353

No products_model field in record. This line was not imported: | AABox Web Hosting | Web Hosting for the 21st centrury (http://www) | Pressurize | Copper | 1499.99 | AABox Web Hosting | Web Hosting for the 21st centrury (http://www) | HWS40-58/1 | 10 | Solar Hot | 2012-07-23 | USD

Here is the csv EP Froogle file:

link title description price image_link id quantity product_type expiration_date currency EOREOR
http://www.mysite.com/product_info.php?products_id=28&language=1 "Pressurised" " Copper Pipe." 1499.99 http://www.mysite.com/images/products/2.jpg HWS40-58/1808 10 Industrial Hardware 2012-07-23 USD EOREOR

Here is the same product but written in EP Complete option:

I am not listing the header row; it is very big.
HWS40-58/1807 Pressurised <p> Copper Heat Pipe.</p> 2.jpg 1799.99 @ 1 1 1499.99 10 50 2012-06-23 14:53:52 heater_system.PNG Industrial Hardware 1 Version Version Version 1 Download: Windows - English Download: Windows - Englisch Download: Windows - Inglese Taxable Goods Active EOREOR

The format is very different.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards.

oscmax456
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I've always been an advocate of using tab as a delimiter (saves a lot of messing about) - read the included documentation. If you were more observant on the EasyPopulate screen then you'd see the link!

ridexbuilder,

Thank you for you input.
I have the osCmax 2.5 User Manual printed version.
It covers EasyPopulate from page 156 thru 161. On page 159 there is a warning: Your file must be saved as tab-delimited file. But when I use Export EP I don't see that option.

There is Quick Links but that did not create a files with tab-delimited, just coma-delimited.

Is there a setting that I missed?

Regards

PS: EasyPopulate import does not understand 2 ¼ inches, it sees as 2 ¼ in and sometimes as 2 ?¼ so I wrote 2.25 inches.

ridexbuilder
06-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Does this look familiar?
All the installation stuff is irrelevant, apart from Section #7.
Troubleshooting section can be useful.