PDA

View Full Version : www or Not?

ptrau
02-01-2012, 05:50 AM
How many osCMax users specify www or not? Do you use an .htaccess 301 redirect? Just curious as to opinions.

ridexbuilder
02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Technically, www is a subdomain, so I leave out and let DNS do the mapping. Plus, when generating a CSR for SSL, I use the non-www domain.
Also, it's old skool and additional typing, to leave in. http://www.oscmax.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Any subdomains will look unweildy:
buttons.oscmax.co.uk looks much better than www.buttons.oscmax.co.uk, for example. :)

Oh, that means none of your Poll answers apply.

pgmarshall
02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes but look how this board picks up the www. and creates a link!

niallb
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I dont use the www and in google webmaster central tell them that without www is my preference

michael_s
02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
The important thing is to pick one and stick with it. Force one or the other and don't leave it up to chance, as you will get duplicate content indexed and ultimately be penalized if you allow both.

dalogar
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
.htaccess 301 redirect here, to avoid duplicate contents, I don't like Google thinking about me that I am duplicating...

maximilian
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
The important thing is to pick one and stick with it. Force one or the other and don't leave it up to chance, as you will get duplicate content indexed and ultimately be penalized if you allow both.
I have to agree, I submitted our site to a website grader and the verdict touched on this subject, saying that the crawly bots will see and index each one as individual of the other and not as one, so pick one that is best in your opinion and don't falter on it.

maximilian
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I have to agree, I submitted our site to a website grader and the verdict touched on this subject, saying that the crawly bots will see and index each one as individual of the other and not as one, so pick one that is best in your opinion and don't falter on it.

Did not mean to post twice, please delete extra, I could not find out how to on my end. Thanks!