PDA

View Full Version : Google Plus one button

nirusnailart
06-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Google tools is now showing +1 button which can be added to product pages which customers can click and add to google.
Where to add the google code for +1 so its seen on all product pages.

rivervalleydiscount
06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Google tools is now showing +1 button which can be added to product pages which customers can click and add to google.
Where to add the google code for +1 so its seen on all product pages.

I would believe that this would need to go into the products page. If you are wanting it to be displayed on every product I am thinking that the associated file would be:

/templates/yourtemplate/content/product_info.tpl.php

In that file I would look around line 357-360 and add it after the reviews button.

Now, keep in mind that I am definately not a coder but I think that would be a good place to start :p

rivervalleydiscount
07-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Ok, we have done some checking into this to see just how this is going to impact our website, or others for that matter. Here are the specifics of what Google says about the +1 feature that is now active. Down at the bottom of this post we will show exactly how we got our to work.

How does +1 affect search results?
+1 helps people discover relevant content—a website, a Google search result, or an ad—from the people they already know and trust. Adding the +1 button to your pages lets users recommend your content, knowing that their friends and contacts will see their recommendation when it’s most relevant—in the context of Google search results.

When a signed-in Google user is searching, your Google search result snippet may be annotated with the names of the user's connections who've +1'd your page. If none of a user's connections has +1'd your page, your snippet may display the aggregate number of +1's your page has received.

Does +1 affect my site’s performance in search?

Content recommended by friends and acquaintances is often more relevant than content from strangers. For example, a movie review from an expert is useful, but a movie review from a friend who shares your tastes can be even better. Because of this, +1’s from friends and contacts can be a useful signal to Google when determining the relevance of your page to a user’s query. This is just one of many signals Google may use to determine a page’s relevance and ranking, and we’re constantly tweaking and improving our algorithm to improve overall search quality. For +1's, as with any new ranking signal, we'll be starting carefully and learning how those signals affect search quality.

How will the +1 button affect my traffic?

Personalized annotations next to your page in search results may increase your site’s visibility and make your site’s snippet more compelling, which may in turn increase the odds that users will click through to your page.

Will +1’s from my site show up in search results?
If a user +1’s a URL on your site, the Google search result snippet for that URL may be annotated in search results and search ads.
However, your site may make the same content available via different URLs. For example, your site may have several pages listing the same set of products. One page might display products sorted in alphabetical order, while other pages display the same products listed by price or by rating. For example:
IANA — Example domains (http://www.example.com/product.php?item=swedish-fish&sort=alpha) IANA — Example domains (http://www.example.com/product.php?item=swedish-fish&sort=price) If Google knows that these pages have the same content, we may index only one version for our search results. As a result, +1's for the other versions may not appear in search results.
You can make sure Google displays +1 annotations for the most search results possible by adding the rel="canonical" property to the non-preferred versions of each page. This property should point to the canonical version, like this:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/product.php?item=swedish-fish&sort=alpha"> This tells Google: "Of all these pages with identical content, this page is the most useful. Please prioritize it in search results."
Now, when a user +1’s a page with a non-canonical URL, Google will associate that +1 with the canonical, preferred version. More information about canonicalization. (https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=139066)

How does the +1 button affect my ads?

The +1 button itself will appear next to your headline on search ads. Personalized annotations will appear beneath your Display URL. For example, Maria +1's a page selling a neat laptop holder on a website. When a search ad with that same URL appears, her friend Sam might see the ad with the note "Maria and 28 other people +1'd this."

Ok, so how do we go about implementing this on our site? Well wanted to let our customers know exactly what this was, so we added the Google Code to display their snippit but in front of it we added a little message that says "Please click here to add to Google Ranking --->".

To add the code to your website you will need to edit the main_page.tpl.php file for your template. This is located at catalog/templates/yourtemplate/main_page.tpl.php.

Inside that file, at line 26, or right after your <head> tag, insert the following lines:

<!-- Start Google +1 Code Snippet -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>
<!-- End Google +1 Code Snippet -->

Then go down to about line 154, or immediately after your <content> tag and insert the following lines:

<!-- Google +1 Display Begin -->
<center><font face="Verdana">
<span style="font-weight: 700; font-style: italic">Please click here to add to Google Ranking ---&gt; </span></font>

<g:plusone></g:plusone>
</center>
<!-- Google +1 Display End -->

That's it. Upload back to your server and your customers will now see the "+1" button on every page.

Hope that this helps!

ozdunker
07-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks but didnt work for me. nothing would load up. I did change it to the <g:plusone></g:plusone> as required .

ridexbuilder
07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks but didnt work for me...
See my reply to the blog on the same subject (no point in repeating).
I have it working on both 2.0.25/35 and 2.5 clients sites - as to whether it will be of any use.... time will tell.

ridexbuilder
07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
To the person who gave the thumbs down - tough! Spoon-feeding on this forum is only optional and a little bit of effort (i.e. reading) goes a long way.
You can see it in operation at the opening posters site (assuming one knows how to Google).