PDA

View Full Version : BTS for Dummies

steveshep
05-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I just installed my first MAX version today and I've been reading and playing with it most of the day. What I can't seem to get my brain around is the BTS system.

I have read the contribution info, and quite a few posts about it and it's use, but I just don't quite understand what is does.

When I read all the info, I keep uttering that sound Scooby Doo does when he's confused, something like "Runnnhhh".

What does it do (I know it changes everything!)

How does it work? (keep it simple, remember, I'm quoting Scooby Doo)

What would I do to make a simple modification and see global results, to help me understand how it works?

I know it's a big question and topic, so if it's too much, just ignore me!

Thanks

Anonymous
05-28-2004, 05:56 PM
I just got the BTS1.2a version installed in my MAX 1.5.5. Do you have it installed yet?

Tim

steveshep
05-28-2004, 06:16 PM
No, I'm at 1.0.

nfmg
05-28-2004, 06:52 PM
I am struggling to learn how to make the cart look the way I want it to, too. It seems like there are little things that need editing stuffed in corners all over the place. The BTS just collects a bunch of them into a templates folder. I still had to edit /languages/english/index.php to get rid of the phrase, "welcome to aabox's OSCmax" and you have to edit english/create_account.php to change the email a new customer gets when they sign up. And, they get a 10% discount in their email which is specified in includes/add_ccgvdc_application_top.php. Get the picture?

The 1.2a version (I just installed it in one of my MAX carts) looks like it will make it easier to edit the layout.

Good Luck.

michael_s
05-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Please do not misunderstand what BTS is for. It does not change language definitions or text variables.

The only thing BTS does is make it easy to change the layout and design of osCommerce. It does nothing with the text variables, which are completely separate from the template system.

BTS consolodates all the HTML and CSS elements related to the design of the site into the templates dir. That is all it does. This is extremely powerful and allows complete redesign of the site by editing just 2 files.

To change your text, you still need to edit the text definitions, which have always been located in the includes/languages dir structure.

To change emails and gift vouchers, you need to edit the scripts related to these functions, which have absolutely nothing to do with templates or site design. BTS does not handle any other functions of osCommerce - just the web design aspect. The phrase, "welcome to aabox's OSCmax" is a text definition, not a html design element, so it cannot be affected by BTS.
The 10% discount in their email is a function of the gift voucher mod, and is controlled in the admin under configuration. Again, it has nothing to do with web design, so it is not controlled by BTS.

I hope this clarifies some of the confusion.

Anonymous
05-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi Msasek,

that does clarify the concept for me, thanks. :-)

I don't see how the 10% discount in the welcome email is controlled in the admin under Vouchers/Coupons. (There isn't anything about discounts or coupons in the Config section, is there?) Can you explain?

Tim

steveshep
05-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Can I just install the 1.2 contribution into MAX or is there something special I need to do?

steveshep
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Nevermind- done! Oh.....I like.....I really really like....

Now, if I could only understand what I'm doing :)

Eulando
06-27-2004, 03:30 AM
what two files do I need to edit to change my site? I've been trying to change the look of my site by getting another template but if i can manually do it myself with my own design it would be great. I'm still pretty new to oscommerce, so please bear with me. :oops:

michael_s
06-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Eulando,

The 2 files:

main_page.tpl.php
stylesheet.css

Go to the templates directory, pick the template you are going to use, for example, aabox, then go into the aabox dir, and you will see main_page.tpl.php and stylesheet.css.

Hope that helps.

Eulando
06-28-2004, 08:06 AM
Eulando,

The 2 files:

main_page.tpl.php
stylesheet.css

Go to the templates directory, pick the template you are going to use, for example, aabox, then go into the aabox dir, and you will see main_page.tpl.php and stylesheet.css.

Hope that helps.It definelty helped! I am now on a roll, starting to like this! Thanks buddy, appreciate your help. :D