PDA

View Full Version : Define Mainpage - can't figure it out

jezter
05-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I've been trying for days to figure this out but I can't.

I'm trying to redo my main page thru the admin panel. So far I've found two places that refer to this function.
configuration/template/pagemodules:
There I see that my define mainpage is turned on and pointed at the index page. There's nothing else I can edit there.I see a page module file name "index_define_mainpage.php" but nowhere to edit it.

Then another post refers to configuration/templates/infopages as a place to edit the page. If I create a page there I can edit it etc but this is a separate page that is listed with the other info pages, shipping handling terms and conditions etc

Where am I missing this?

pgmarshall
05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Configuration -> Templates -> Infopages -> Index Page Text -> Click the row to edit the existing text.

jezter
05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the quick reply but I don't have Index Page Text in my info pages. Should I create a page with that name?

jezter
05-10-2011, 09:44 AM
So I renamed what I had as Main Page to Index Page Text. Inserted a graphic etc.
When I go to my store the index page is still the same as it was but now I have a listing under the Heading "Information" that says Index Page Text. When I click on that I get the page I had just edited.

pgmarshall
05-10-2011, 02:18 PM
You must have fiddled with this setting ...

Admin -> Configuration -> Templates -> Template Setup -> Main Page Text Information Manager Info Number -> 13

This must match the information_pages number for it to be picked up.

Regards,

jezter
05-10-2011, 07:45 PM
They are all set correctly to 13. Still not working

pgmarshall
05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
And the page you want to display has an ID of 13 infopages?

jezter
05-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Yes, that's correct, and it is set to display

jezter
05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Just to let people know how this was resolved:

pgmarshall was kind enough to look at my admin panel and he discovered that it was a problem with my template. I realize that as a debugging method I should have tried another template and see if the condition persisted. It didn't. Thus it was something in my template and I had been having some custom coding done so I assume my programmer changed something or I did inadvertently.

So I've discovered another way of debugging something. Should have thought of it myself but wanted to share for others who encounter these same kind of mystifying behaviours when OSCMax doesn't work the way "those who know" say it should. Many thanks to pgmarshall for his help. I always find it very encouraging when this OSCMax community jumps in to help a newbie. It says a lot about the strength of OSCMax and its future.

As an aside, I've discovered that I like the fallback template and am going to stick with it for my new site launch. The slideshow is awesome and so easy to configure. I was using a template that I modified the graphics on but there were discrepancies and issues with the admin not quite working perfectly with the template. The more I see of 2.5 the more I like it, it's taken the raw functionality of the previous version and added a layer of power and professionalism that is really very impressive. I'm still astounded that this software is free and yet the support I've found here in these forums is often way better than commercial software.

Thanks to all who make this happen.