PDA

View Full Version : Collect CVC code with Credit Card

kjedr
05-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi,

I process credit cards offline and have to collect the Card Validation Code as an extra fraud protection. When processing the transaction at our terminal it is part of the input.
With MC & Visa they are 3 digit and for Amex and Diners they are 4 digit.

I have looked around the cc.php but I don't know where to start. I think in addition to one of the php files, the database also needs an extra field.

Can you help me with this?
Maybe this has been done before but I overlooked it.

Regards!
Erwin.

red_fraggle
05-19-2004, 09:00 AM
You do realize that storing CVV codes is illegal right?

fridgemags
05-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Very Illegal

fridgemags
05-19-2004, 10:49 AM
If you use an offline processor you should be able to process the card without the cvv. I do it without the cvv and just have the address , Name on card and zip code checked. If there is a diffrent ship to address than the address the card was billed to I simply call the number under the ship address and ask for the person on the card and verify that they placed the order.

This has worked very well for me and most customers thank me for having such security measures in place.

Hope this may help some.

fridgemags
05-19-2004, 10:50 AM
I mean I call the person under the billing address and phone number ! Just waking up here:D

Anonymous
05-19-2004, 11:38 AM
fridgemags: Calling the cardholder when there's any doubt is very good practice. It saved me quite a lot of money in the past years.

I live in the Netherlands and our main CC processor Interpay requires me to enter the CVC for all Mastercards into our payment terminal. (This terminal handles all the CCards and debit cards.)
At this moment the CVC is not yet required for VISA and AmEx but it might be any day that they update the software in our terminal to require the CVC.

We don't store CC details any longer than necessary. We don't keep the details on file.

So I still need the CVC field :) Any clue?

Regards!
Erwin.

kjedr
05-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Sorry, didn't log in.
(Guests can post too?)

Regards!
ERwin.