PDA

View Full Version : Off line Credit Card transaction

Gaspode
03-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi ...

I'm new to all this e commerce site stuff but I am learning ...

What i want to know is there a secure module for offline credit card transactions ? I was told the one that comes as standard isnt secure - I want something that can securely email me the credit card details ...

Thanks

And thanks mike for such an easy to install package

jpf
03-03-2004, 06:41 AM
There is a GPG Credit Card Encryption mod:
http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,611

This should do what you want.

Anonymous
03-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Thanks ...

Ok - now to seem really dense - but I havnt used GPG ( or PGP) for that matter - I have some Idea of how it works but I have a couple of questions.

I use a remote virtual server in the US running FreeBSD. I have access to root of the virtual server (it is not a virtual subhost but a full VPS) the emails will need to be sent to a windows machine in the UK.

My question is basically - where do I install the GPG software ? Would I be right in thinking that all i do is install it on my windows machine and generate the keys there then transfer the public key to a directory on the web server ? or is that completly wrong :)

Please advise ...

John Medany

Complete encryption newbie

michael_s
03-04-2004, 10:00 AM
John, most servers have GPG installed on them already, but I do not know for sure with VPS servers.

If you have your own root, you can download and install GPG from the GPG website. The application needs to be installed on your server. Then you need to generate your keys serverside, using gpg. Then you need to download your private key to your local machine. Then you need to edit the ccgpg.php file to point to your public key and make sure the dir that it is in allows reading the key, and you need to create a temp dir where the work files are written to, and they need to have write permissions... you can see there is a lot to do here.

Then you need to get a plugin for your email client that can decode GPG encrypted mail and install and configure it. These can be found for download at the gpg website.

There are a lot of steps to getting this to work correctlly, and about 1000 ways you can screw it up. If you are not fluent with linux, you will have problems guaranteed, but, on the bright side, it will be a great opportunity to learn some of the inner workings of linux...

I wrote a tutorial on this for someone a long time ago, I will see if I can find it. If I can, I will post a link...

Anonymous
03-11-2004, 04:24 AM
Many Thanks

Link to that tutorial would be great

John