PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Fantastico to Install?

DaveF
02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm kicking around the prospect of installing osC, and may be getting in over my head. (It wouldn't be the first time that happened;-)

I'm only just now "starting" to understand PhP and MySQL, so much of what I'm reading is still a bit beyond my grasp.

My host has supplied the Fantastico installer program and before I click "Install" I'd like to know what info the program may ask me for.

Any and all clues or encouragement are most welcome.

Dave

jpf
02-24-2004, 01:53 PM
CHANCES ARE...

You have an old style OSC installion.... Recommend MS2 or a loaded version like MS2-MAX.
If you want to do any large amount of customization -then you more than likly to edit off line on a local copy of the program. If your familar with FTP and such your better off getting a recent version then make your changes and uploading that.

If you want a BASIC version of OSC and don't want/need to make changes to the BASIC version then by all means use the control panel your host has provided to install and get your store online. However if installes an older version and want to add any feature (like MAX has) then most contributions would be a hit or miss. If you Start with MAX then you have a uptodate version with alot of extra features without spending hours or days or weeks to figure it all out.

Good Luck

DaveF
02-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your input.

That's pretty much the conclusion that I came to, so I bit the bullit and went ahead and installed it on my own. Much easier than I anticipated.

I don't know what makes me think these machines will explode if I screw up.

So far so good, though. Now I've just got to figure out what to do from here;-)

I'm actually going to tone it down quite a bit. I won't be needing a lot of stuff the cart offers, but it's nice to know it's there if and when I need it.

My congratulations to the team. You folks have done a great job!

Dave

Anonymous
03-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi I am new to osCommerce,but I will like to use the MS2-MAX.I downloaded it to my HD but can't seem to figure out how to upload it into my Host Control Pannel,or should I say File Manager.
Will like some help on this from anyone.Thank You

peteyg
03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
You wont be using your host Cpanel to install it. You do have FTP access to your site, right?