PDA

View Full Version : Remove BTS from MS2-MAX???

cxm322
01-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I have to say. I reallylike MS2-MAX, but I relaly do not like the basic Template System Mod. It has it's diasadvantages. Mainly, I am looking to just remove BTS from MAX and keep everything else as is.

My thoughts were to jsut reverse the installation instructions for the BTS mod but I want to make sure this will work. I am not sure if doing this will interfere with other mods that are included with MAX.

Can anyone post the best way to do this or if reversing the BST install instructions will work OK?

Thanks.

Anonymous
01-14-2004, 03:42 PM
that would be a huge job, because you would need to modify every single page! and convert it back to the old system... it would be easier to start with a clean istall of MS2 and install the mods you do want!!

thats my opinion.

Regards Chunks

cxm322
01-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Well, that is what I am trying to figure out. I just looked at the installation instructions for BTS and it is very simple to install.

I just installed an OSC MS2 store on my domain. WHat I intend to do is delete the folders and their files that are unique to BTS and then replace all the other files that were mosified for the BTS with the default OSC MS2 files. However, I have no idea if

a) there are more files that need to be modified like the files for the affiliate modules and such and
b) if the files that were modified for the BTS module were also modified for other mods. If this is the case, simply replacing the files moded for BTS with default OSC files will not work as it would mess up other modules.

But this is all speculation. the only people who can answer this question are those who were involved in installing all the mods for MS2-MAX.

SO I really hope to get a definite "yes" or "no" to the question...

If I just reverse the BTS install, will my store and all other mods work correctly???

cxm322
01-14-2004, 07:54 PM
OK. Here is the skinny. I actually went ahead and decided to give it all a go.

So I installed MAX to /shop directory and regular OSC MS2 to /store.

Next, I went to the installation faq for BTS and I found that the when installing BTS you have to insert

define('DIR_WS_TEMPLATES', 'templates/');
define('DIR_WS_CONTENT', DIR_WS_TEMPLATES . 'content/');
define('DIR_WS_JAVASCRIPT', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'javascript/');

into to catalog(in this case shop)/includes/configure.php.

So I just removed that code.

THen, since you have to create the following directories when installing BTS...

- catalog/includes/javascript
- catalog/templates
- catalog/templates/content

I removed those asl well.

The only other step when installing BTS is to upload all the files into the /catalog and /catalog/includes and /catalog/includes/boxes directories.

So what I did, was I copied all of these files that must be included in the above directories from my /store diectory (which contains my OSC [email protected] store, remember?) to my hard drive.

I then uploaded and overwrote these files to my /shop store (the one with MAX installed).

The end result was that I was getting errors that my affiliate.php, whats_new.php, and tell_a_friend.php files were referring to the BTS system so I went in and deleted the "require" lines that referred to the template.

I then went back to my store and everything works great...

EXCEPT

-The "affiliate info" box does not show at all in the left column.
-The "what's new" box does not show at all in the left column.
-Also, the "Gift Voucher FAQ" and "Printable Catalog" links do not appear in the "Information box" in the left column.

So...

when I go (for instance) to www.mydomain.com/shop/affiliate_info.php, I get the following errors...

Warning: main(DIR_WS_TEMPLATESTEMPLATENAME_MAIN_PAGE): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/myusername/mydomain.com/shop/affiliate_info.php on line 24

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'DIR_WS_TEMPLATESTEMPLATENAME_MAIN_PAGE' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /hsphere/local/home/myusername/mydomain.com/shop/affiliate_info.php on line 24

SO of course, I get these same errors when I try to access my /shop/gv_faq.php and my /shop/catalog_products_with_images.php files (whith the error reflecting the respective files of course, but other than that, the error is exactly the same).

I do not get an error when I go to my /shop/products_new.php file even though the "what's new box is not showing.

THe funny thing is, I decided to go to the installation file for the Affiliate mode and I checked to see if anything might have been deleted when I mosified the store ad there is nothing missing. THat is to say that the affiliate mod is infact installed in my store. SO I am guessing that this is the case with the gift voucher mod as well.

I have come to a roadblock at this point. I can no longer figure out what to do next. It seems that I am just a hair away from having the BTS system completely removed and everything else in tact but I have no clue on what I need to do to make everything work correctly.

Please, andyone with any more knowledge than me, please respond with any possible solution.

I feel at this point that I am the only one interested and I am basically talking to myself :([/code]

michael_s
01-14-2004, 10:45 PM
cxm322, I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would want to remove BTS. It is very much superior to a stock installation, and much easier to use.

Basically, BTS is fully integrated into the code, and many mods are integrated into the template files. If you remove them, you essentially break all the mods in max. In fact, the affiliate mod is not intact, since all the files have been separated into templates and mainfiles. Plus much of the affiliate code was placed in other templates...It just becomes a big nasty mess.

I highly suggest sticking with BTS. You get all the mods, and a very easy, flexible and powerful template structure with which you can easisly change the entire look of the site by editing 2 files instead of the standard 40 or so...

I agree with the above post, if you dont want to use BTS, don't use max. Use a stock MS2.

All the mods that are installed in max have been modified to work with BTS, and there is no way to make them work without BTS, unless you recode everything from scratch.

jpf
01-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Hi,

I have to say. I reallylike MS2-MAX, but I relaly do not like the basic Template System Mod. It has it's diasadvantages. Mainly, I am looking to just remove BTS from MAX and keep everything else as is.

What disavantages? It removes MOST of the HTML from the PHP code. That way you can acutally edit the HTML (template files) in Frontpage or Dreamweaver or any HTML editor you want. If You don't want to use the BTS - then just use the CSS to customize your shop.

If you don't like MAX then install the orginal MS2 release and add just what you want manually - it would be much faster than removing BTS.

BTW - a version of (or based on) BTS is to be included with MS3 or MS4 as there "template" system!!!

Anonymous
01-16-2004, 08:57 AM
My problem with the BTS is that I don't know which two files to customise. In the readme file that comes with the mod, all I see is an example of how to alter the boxes, one at a time. It appears to me that you have to change each box individually, that is too time consumming if you ask me.

Is there any way that you can come out with a MAX version with the STS instead of the BTS. It would be really cool if we could choose between BTS and STS!

michael_s
01-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Guest, you are way off.

1 file for entire layout: main_page.tpl.php

1 file to change all boxes : box.tpl.php

1 file to change all colors and styles : stylesheet.css

Your problem with BTS is only that you don't know how to use it. Once you learn (which I have just taught you in 3 lines .. :) ) it is really easy...

The old NON-BTS system made you edit each individual box, and each individual file (over 40 files). Now, I am not a math whiz, but 40 or 3? Which is better?

paulM
01-16-2004, 01:22 PM
In the readme file that comes with the mod, all I see is an example of how to alter the boxes, one at a time. It appears to me that you have to change each box individuallyWhich BTS version are you talking about? There might be a problem with the documentation. You can create separate templates to make different infoboxes, but you certainly don't have to!

Anonymous
01-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Which BTS version are you talking about? There might be a problem with the documentation. You can create separate templates to make different infoboxes, but you certainly don't have to!

I have the BTS 1.0, is there a way to upgrade to a newer version?

paulM
01-17-2004, 07:45 AM
(I feel like spamming the forums about the subject now, so I"ll stop talking about it for a while after this post.)

To be honest I don't know anything about MAX, but the code differences between the "old" BTS and v1.2(a) are so small, that i don't expect it to be difficult to upgrade. I might give it a shot myself soon.

Actually I asked you about the BTS version because i wanted to know what made you think you had to edit all boxes i.s.o. the one box file template.

michael_s
01-17-2004, 12:59 PM
paulM, I welcome your input. Max v1.5.5 uses a stock BTS v1.0b, with a few added content templates. It does not have any of the extra features beyond 1.0b.

cxm322
01-18-2004, 11:56 AM
msasaek and jpf,

The main reson why I do not like BTS at least the way it is in MAX is that the blue colums behind the info boxes are picture files therefore they do not expand when the info boxes expand. It makes the site look unprofesional when that happens IMO.

That is why I posted an alternative (sort of) here...
http://oscdox.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=6010#6010

michael_s
01-18-2004, 01:39 PM
cxm322, you are missing the whole point of BTS.

You are not required to keep the default template. You are supposed to customize it. BTS maks this extremely easy. The base template that comes with MAX is just a sample. The AABox MS2-MAX template is not BTS. It is a template that BTS uses. You do not have to keep it as is, nor do I suggest that you do.

Had you used a standard MS2 installation, the one edit you made in the other thread would have had to been repeated in over 30 files. With BTS all you had to do was edit 1. That, my friend, is what BTS is all about...

cxm322
01-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I don't know. Al I know is that both with the default MAX template and other BTS templates you can buy from templateshipper.com, the picture file that makes up the colums behind the boxes is just that, a picture fule, therefore, if the info boxes expand due to, say, a manufacturer logo being bigger than the actual box size, the column will not and it looks funky.

Here is a link to a demo site with one of Templateshopper.com's MAX graphics templates and it also does the same as the default MAX template...

http://www.scot.ch/demoOSCMAX401/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=8&products_id=22

I do not know if there is a way to make a picture fil that will expand. I don;t believe that is possible so I just took out the columns altogether.

Another alternative would be to make samaller manufacturer logo graphics, but really, I do not want to have to worry about a graphic being too large an messing up my store's look, so I just remove the columns, even though I think the store looks better with them there.

michael_s
01-19-2004, 01:15 PM
cxm322, yes, I understand what you are saying. But again, what is forcing you to use those background images, or even the sample templates?

Basic HTML allows you to remove the background images without removing the columns themselves.

The fact is, the templates can be changed to whatever you like. If you are using a template the restricts the size of any of the dimensions, as a good designer, you will take care to restrict the images so as not to break your sites design. That is not the role of BTS, it is the role of the site owner to set up parameters for their images, and design and make them work together.

Yes you can make a picture that expands to the size of the table, you just set it to repeat.

Basically, you are not talking about BTS itself, just a new tempate, which you can design however you want. Templates plug into BTS. Regardless, it is just straight webdesign, and really has nothing to do with the core BTS system.

cxm322
01-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I see. SO I could perhaps remake those same exact columns that you include with MAX's template and make a new picture file that" WILL infact expand with the boxes. Sounds odd. Is that what you mean.

I wonder why templateshopper does not make thir GIFs like that.

i know this is now getting off topic, but could you or anyone tell me if I can make this type of picture file in Adobe photoshop and what eexactly the function name would be to make such a picture file? I have access to adobe photoshop bu tI am not completely familar with it. I have never come across an option that made me think I could do such a thing.

ANy help would be appreciated.

michael_s
01-19-2004, 03:21 PM
cxm322, the image is just a standard gif. It doesnt really expand, but the CSS formatting can be set to repeat the image, so as the table expands, the image repeats. It is really basic stuff.

And to answer your first question, the gif does not expand, it repeats.

cxm322
01-20-2004, 05:31 AM
I notified template shopper and together we figured it out. That is why if you follow the link Iposted, the stores will not display the problem anymore.

The problem is actually with the Notifications box. With the graphic being so large and the long word "tournament" in the box, it makes the boxes expand. TS fixed this by reducing the size of the Notifications graphic.

If you had a longer word than "tournament" in there, you may still run accross this problem even with the reduced graphic, at which point you could jsut eliminate the "notifications" graphic altogether or even possibly modify the cose so that the graphic shows above the text rather than beside it.

For what it's worth...I thought I'd share that as I see this thread has generated alot of views so many folks must be interedsted in this topic.

Anonymous
04-14-2004, 06:40 AM
STS [Simple Template System] is waaayyy easier :D

fluentdesigns
04-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I agree, STS is alot easier, I used it to implement into my own website templates

paulM
05-05-2004, 02:24 PM
STS [Simple Template System] is waaayyy easier :DAnd traveling by train is waaayyy easyer than traveling by car (especially if you haven't had any driving lessons yet). But it's not the same.

* The STS is a system to easyly change the basic looks/layout of osC.

* The BTS is a structure which separates most output code from other osC code, which also happens to enable easyer looks/layout changes (almost every detail of it).

Anyway if MS3 comes out it's supposed to have a template structure (like the BTS is) and that will make it even easyer to install the STS (=> STS ms3 version if it ever comes out) :D