PDA

View Full Version : what kind of ssl is best

nostradamus
12-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm looking around for an ssl provider.

but now I'm a little bit confused. the price ranges from 19 euro up to 900 euro.

what kind of ssl doe i need for my shop.

michael_s
12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
They are all pretty much the same as far as encryption goes. The difference is in warranty and brand name. For smaller sites, you should be fine with an entry level certificate.

nostradamus
12-21-2008, 02:04 AM
i need it for pay pal. my host told me in need fixed ip en ssl i tried openssl but for some reason i cant get it to work on my pc

michael_s
12-21-2008, 09:03 AM
You do not need ssl for paypal. They handle it on their end unless you are using website payments pro.

nostradamus
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
nope i
gone use the
default one

jpf
12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
SSL - as long as they offer 128-bit encription - there is techincally no security differnce.

So one worth 19 and another that is 900 they perform exactly the same. However one that is 900 - you may have the ablity to add your own sub-domains (shaired SSL) and stuff in the center may have other "ADDED" value/services or "Brand" or have "MIN" standards in order to obtain there "seal of approval".

The ONLY SSL that is not worth ANYTHING (cause you can create it for free) is the SELF SIGNED ones that no browser even trusts at all.

For MANY people who deal under 1/4 million in transaction a year - a PLAIN SSL will do. If you have more stringent needs - need to get/maintain an ISO rating or have a complicated corporate structure (public company) - they may be better suited to a more strigent BACKGROUND CHECKS and on GOING FISCAL & SECURITY MONITORING customer fraud guarrentee etc... that more expensive SSL provides.

cikez
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I personally use GoDaddy for all my SSL needs. I believe its around $25 per year and its not a shared SSL cert.

jpf
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
If your paying (separately) for a shared SSL cert - your being robbed. Shared SSL is and only should be included in a HOSTING package.

There are Better people to deal with than GoDaddy - but then there are many that are alot worse than them.

nostradamus
12-30-2008, 02:38 AM
i have a exclusive product (t-shirts up to 15xl)(
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl)
i
don't think i need a
ssl (yet)

but do i need a static
ip for
pay pal

nostradamus
12-30-2008, 02:39 AM
i have a exclusive product (t-shirts up to 15xl)(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl)
i don't think i need a ssl (yet)
but do i need a static ip for paypal?