PDA

View Full Version : some Constructive Critisism

MindSpace
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi. I have to say I've had a pretty frustrating afternoon bumbling through the mess of oscmax.com and oscdox.com - Broken links, searches that don't work, and confusing layouts. Anyway...

I've been playing with osCommerce (much more clearly layed out support), but it looked like osCMax had some significant advantages. Significant enough to consider a switch. However, I have some vital questions that would make or break a switch, which I have not been able to find anywhere. I need to make an educated decision - not just see something shiny and decide to use that instead. I would dearly love these to answered in the "What is osCMax?" at What is osCMax? - osCMax - osCommerce Maximized (http://www.oscmax.com/what_is_oscmax_0) and other FAQs.

What version of osCommerce is osCMax 2.0 based on?
Is osCMax a complete code branch, or simply a variant?
When osCommerce is updated, will these upgrades be integrated into osCMax?
Has osCMax made underlying changes to osCommerce, or just incorporated many add-ins ?(I suspect the former)
Do many osCommerce plugins work in osCMax? be as specific as possible - I don't want to get short term advantages of the osCMax addins only to find I can't use many other addins in the future.
Is there a repository of addins and/or templates for osCMax?
Are there any free templates for oscMax available (where?), or do I have to buy them? (which would would make osCMax not really free)

Thanks,

Eric

michael_s
01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi,

Yes we are currently rebuilding the sites. You will see the wiki progressing at osCDox more steadily as it gets reorganized. osCDox itself has been a little neglected and it is slowly being updated.

oscmax is based on osCommerce v2.2 MS2
It is not a code branch/fork. It is simply osCommerce 2.2 with a ton of mods pre-installed. It keeps current with all MS2 code (RC1 now) and maintains full compatibility with the core of osCommerce for more easy integration of all the thousands of other contribs out there.
See the above...
Yes, all of them work with the exception of a few mods that conflict with preinstalled mods (they would conflict in standard osCommerce too)
Yes. Here at osCMax.com under Projects
I am sure there are. Any free template made for standard osCommece can be converted to work with osCMax. There are a couple in the projects section.