Thread: Downloadable Products Question

minuteman1970

Question Downloadable Products Question

I run a live OSCommerce v2.2 shop, and am also testing a OScMax 2.0 shop as well. I am considering adding a slew of downloadable e-book products on my shop, but need to better understand how the feature works.

I currently sell about three thousand products of varying sizes and weights, and use the "table" shipping method to base postage charges on total order amount. How will this affect the downloadable products feature if I utilize it? I don't want to charge shipping for these products, unless a customer orders non-ebooks in their order as well. Does the stock OSc and OSc Max functionality allow for this?

Thanks in advance.

osCMax Developer

Downloadable Products Question

Total Contributions For

michael_s     $ 10.00

Default Re: Downloadable Products Question

You set the product weight to 0 for downloads and it just skips the shipping for the download.
    Michael Sasek

osCmax 2.5.4 is now available via auto-installation using Softaculous!

Stay Up To Date with everything osCMax:
    osCmax on Twitter - Up to the minute info as it happens. Know it first.

osCmax Documentation

minuteman1970

Thanks for the feedback. The dilemma I currently have with my live stock OSc is that none of my products were entered with weights, which does not affect my 'table' shipping function (shipping is based upon order total). It sounds like I need to update weights for every item, and switch to a different shipping module which is based upon weights.
    Since my stock OSc shop does not have Easy Populate installed, I would need to edit all 3000 products to enter an estimated weight for each. Is there another way around this? Perhaps I should just wait until my OSc Max 2.0 shop is ready for production.
    Thanks.

c.h.u.d.

It does not matter if the shipping module is weight based or not, setting the weight to zero will cause the checkout process to skip shipping.

It is simple to run a query on the database to change the weight on all products to 1 either with phpmyadmin or from the command line.

minuteman1970

Quote Originally Posted by c.h.u.d. View Post
    It does not matter if the shipping module is weight based or not, setting the weight to zero will cause the checkout process to skip shipping.

It is simple to run a query on the database to change the weight on all products to 1 either with phpmyadmin or from the command line.
    Sounds like a simple enough solution. My hosting company allows me to have access to PHPMyadmin..... however, I am unfamiliar with the specific of what the query command should look like.
    Can someone please fill me in?

Thanks.