PDA

View Full Version : How to handle oversize charges

JohnW
03-17-2006, 08:31 AM
For most of my products I can have shipping charges work off of product total and I've been using that system for over 3 years. However, I have a few items that get oversize charges from UPS because of the lenght of the item. I would like to be able to have an added shipping charges show up when these items are in someones cart. Basically like shipping 10.95 + $9.00 oversize box charge. Or, even have the product show up as say 14.95 + $9.00 oversize charge.

Anyone else dealing with this situation?

met00
03-18-2006, 06:58 PM
similar. Oversized products get shipped via BAX Global. Added "oversized" flag to the product and in shipping have a complex if-then-else (US order get options of fedex and ups unless they are APO/FPO , Hawaii, Alaska and PR, (or international) then they get USPS. Oversize can not ship outside the continental US and always gets BAX if there is ONE oversize in the product.

I would add the flag, in your case, and then add a field for products_oversize_shipping. If the flag is set then add the value from the products_oversize_shipping to a tot_oversize_ship_amount and if that is NOT zero, display that at checkout (add a module to include that in the checkout process). Additionally, the products_info template can have a check to see if the products_oversize_shipping is greater than zero, and if it is them proint out an informational text along with the amount being added on the product_info page.

JohnW
03-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your reply met00. I have to digest this a little more to make sure I fully understand. I have a test site on my local machine that I can start working on this. I only ship within the 48 states now but with more products hitting OS charges I need to remedy my system.

dgholstein
12-05-2006, 03:58 AM
I've got the same problem -- I presumed the UPS module would use the dimensions of the unit and calculate the UPS "dimensional" weight. I'll handle it by increasing my weight in the DB to the UPS "dimensional" weight I get from using their web site shipping software. As far as I know, that shouldn't break anything else -- right?