PDA

View Full Version : Google dropping php pages?

makemethis
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Has any one else noticed that php pages have dropped in Google? I did a few different searches with different search terms and noticed no php page existed in top and where hard to find. My max sites have done well in placing in the past but have all taken a hard hit lately. Any ideas? All of our pages are php... do you think it is time to put up some static html pages to combat this Google dropping? All thoughts are welcome...

michael_s
03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
I know of several osCMax sites ranked #1 for their keywords. I doubt it has anything to do with the pages being php. Most likely it is just the normal ebb and flow of google for your site.

makemethis
05-07-2006, 06:02 PM
But if you do a search now...6 weeks later...on "google supplemental" look at the results and the amount of people discussing this very thing...

FYI: it appears google is making a statement on duplication...
osCommerce sites (especially older ones) create mulitple paths to the same info on categories and products...to google with BigDaddy this is now duplication and becomes supplemental...as it appears...

Another thing...sites running ads by google like this one...take notice as to what is appearing in msn cache for your page...ads are the sex industry ads...not sure if this is google trying to mess up msn or msn doing something to google...either way check your msn cache pages with ads by google on them...our site and this site should not have similar ads as our sites are totally different in nature yet both were cached with the same type ads on msn...in fact all sites with ads by google were showing the same sex industry ads in msn cache that we could find...

Yet another issue google has with osCommerce sites is the page that shows products not found...gives a 200 status which in turn creates duplication...this function needs to return 404 status...it is not a hard fix either...

Another area is the review pages...if you use them and mulitple products have no review...again a 200 status is given so duplication is again created...similar fix is 404 status on no review return...

Finally...google is working on the index vs www.yoursite.com/ vs yoursite.com...all 3 are the same as we all know...it will be better for your site to have all home (index) page to www.yoursite.com/ and not to www.yoursite.com/index.php...if you run subdomain folders just run www.yoursite.com/folder/...do not ad the index.whatever to it...

How long till google comes around...anyones guess...I would just suggest looking into your osCommerce site and at least fix what we know google is taking issue with...

sorry Michael...this time it is not just the normal ebb and flow...