PDA

View Full Version : product attributes with easy populate

spottedhaggis
03-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi all.

I have a client who I am building a store for using OSCMAX.

He has added some 1700 items to the catalog, and has now asked me to setup attributes. lol.

there are 7 seperate options that each product should have (all 7 per item)

Going through it manually is a pain, so I noticed the EP option for model/attributes, ran it, and it seemed to list all 1700 items with the attributes next to them, but nothin in the catalog itself has actually changed.

Can anyone tell me the best and fastest way to add all attrobute options to every single item in the catalog

Thanks in advance

bhejr
03-11-2006, 03:40 PM
One thing that may help you is to set up the attributes for one product if that product uses all the attributes (options). Then download a COMPLETE ep file and the correct attributes fields will be in place. Then just start copying and pasting.
I did this for a set of products that had the same options and set one product up online, did the above and copied and pasted for over 100 products in less than 1 minute in open office calc. Super easy. Hope this helps.

spottedhaggis
03-12-2006, 01:34 AM
I am not entirely sure what you mean. There is no where to paste the attrbutes for each product in the back end?

Can someone tell me exactly how the easy populate works, what it should do?

I have setup attributes on a single product and then downloaded the model/attribute option, opened it into excel and it looked like it had all attributes setup next to each item in the catalog, so I assumed I had to upload this new file and it would integrate it into the database.

I did this and it seemed to list what it had done and it looked right, but the catalog attributes were all screwed, suddenly I had more attributes that had a new name but were the same options.

I am very confused as to how this works? and no way can I past 7 seperate options next to 1700+ products.

bhejr
03-12-2006, 03:20 AM
You need to read my post more carefully. I said to download the complete ep file, not just the model/attribute option. Do your copying and pasting, save it as a csv text file with no quotes and tab delimited, then use EP to reinsert the complete file into the database. I am not sure how else to explain this without going into the inner workings of Excel and EP, of which I dont have a whole lot of time to do right now. Plus, I stopped using Excel a long time ago :)

spottedhaggis
03-22-2006, 10:30 AM
I did a complete export to file and can see that all the attributes for the product I setup are now spread accross all products in the catalogue, so it looks like the attributes have spread or copied all attribute settings to every product.

If this is the case then surely a simple import of this very same file will work, but I cannot see why that would be the case.

So, what I have here is a file with attributes setup on every product, but this is not what the shop actually has inside it, which is why I am very confised over the easy populate options?

Can anyone help me figure out what I gues is very simple to do?