PDA

View Full Version : taking advantage of dynamic meta tags

humanode
11-22-2005, 04:14 PM
I would like to know how to take advantage of the dynamic meta tags feature in osCMAX 2.2.

I've been using some third party software to analyze my website and it seems I have title tags showing up in strange positions i.e Your Title tag is not the first tag in the <HEAD> area of your page!

More "crapoliousness"
This page has JavaScript! It doesn't matter for which purposes you use JavaScript, e.g. drop-down menus, put it at the end of HTML Body or place into a separate file, e.g. menu.js. This will move the important content closer to the beginning of this page and improve its keyword prominence.

I guess like any developer "I WANT TO WIN"! As well as provide my client with just a bit of visibility out there on " The Catwalk".

I don't want to pay some faceless party my hard earned dollars to assure my presence on the WWW. IMHO, respect is earned not advertised.

So, if there is anyone willing to share the wealth with the rest of us, I would like to know how do we bend our investment of blood, sweat and tears into a tiara that would make Paris Hilton bend over to take a look at, I'm not asking for much am I? :).

Please don't consider this a rant because it isn't, I would just like to know. There is so much information about SEO it becomes ovewhelming. Old school v.s., new school, who has the answers?

After all this is e-commerce software, and we are trying to sell stuff, ain't we? How do we become competitive?

Bottom line; I'm willing to learn, I just need someone who has exprienced success to teach me/us.

ericcech
11-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, please. Does anyone have an instruction set for editing meta_tags.php (I've found some on the forum, but it only seems to cover default page tags).

Specifically, how to chage what's displayed for each product (remove price, etc.) and, possibly more usefully, how to use custom database fields - it seems an easy path to create a meta_description field for each product, and use that rather than the first sentence of text.

I could not find instructions with the contribution even on oscommerce.com...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

michael_s
11-24-2005, 06:28 PM
This should help:
http://oscdox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pag ename=CustomMetatags