PDA

View Full Version : Database Structure Comparison OSCMax 1.7 vs. 2RC2

kenlyle
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
This is a diff, using Beyond Compare. I use this to tell me what to expect when I move my data from one database to another.

I hope this is helpful to someone. If it's old news, or redundant, or something, let me know, too.

Thanks,
Ken

jpf
11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Looks good to me.... However I would not use this DIFF package to upgrade... Use MYSQLDIFF tool would be MUCH safer/easier....

eyeofhorus
11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Is there an alternative to MYSQLDIFF tool? It does not work on my shared server.

michael_s
11-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Set it up locally on your development computer, and do your 'diffing' from the desktop... ;)

kenlyle
11-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Gents,

If the diff, using whatever method, shows that the only issue appears to be added tables and fields (and maybe that one primary key change)....

If you just do an export of the old database with complete and/or extended inserts, that will make sure that all the fields align themselves correctly.

I've been lucky with this in the past.

Or should I suck it up, and learn a new tool, for my own good?

jpf
11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Is not hard to learn.... Beyond Compare is a great tool however it is still DUM about correct SQL script. Like I said at first glance - it looks good. No harm in trying..provided all has been backuped...perfered if you tested on a "test" site (see below).

As for setting up a 'localhost' (to do your delveloping/testing ect.. on your local PC) - download a WAMP like EasyPHP to install Apache/MySQL/PHP on your local computer. 30 sec install - load the program - PUT the files in the WWW or web directory (each wamp is a bit differnt where this is - but can be changed if need be) - Go into phpmyadmin and setup your MYSQL username & password. Then load up your perfered browser like FireFox and put 'localhost' as the URL...good to go!

kenlyle
11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
OK, ya big stud. I tried installing mysqldiff on my hosting account, and couldn't connect to my databases, even though I can use ODBC to connect to them.

I read some stuff about WAMP, etc., that the uninstalls can be messy.

Is there a chance that you can run this 107->2.0 mysqldiff and post it for those of us less technically fortunate?

Thanks,
K

kenlyle
11-08-2005, 10:37 AM
I reinstalled mysqldiff, and found a few bugs, but the script at least ran to completion, although I had to re-run the section where it failed.

This script will convert the database to the new structure. I'd suggest running it against a copy of your production database, of course.

I will be assessing whether the patched database works under the 2.0 RC2 code base. Anyone care to join me?

Thanks,
K