PDA

View Full Version : configure.php writing error

DerekJ
01-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I can't clear the "I can write to the configure.php file" error popup.

I don't know that OS the server is using 'cos it's no my site.

I try to chmod the file to 444 with cuteftp, and it says it's done it but the file permissions say it's still 644 when I look at the properties.

Am I doing it wrong? or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Derek

goaskmom
01-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, you're changing the wrong file. It exists in two places, admin and catalog, and also there is a file named very similar- configuration.php which is not to be confused with any of them.

I've done that on more than one ocassion. Might not be your issue, but take a hard look and make sure you're changing and looking at the right file.

groggory
01-19-2005, 05:58 AM
The complete install procedure including file permissions is in the wiki. Take a read Here (http://oscdox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pag ename=Chapter%203%20Detailed%20Installation%20Inst ructions)

red_fraggle
01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
you need to "chmod 755" BOTH /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php AND /catalog/includes/configure.php

DerekJ
01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies but….

To Goaskmom
I’m trying to reset the correct files. I re-checked this with the same result

To Groggory
I read the wikki on install and followed the procedures.

To Red-fraggle
I can do a chmon to 755, but still get the same warning as this still allows the owner write permissions.

I don’t seem to be able to clear the owner-write flag on the server. Minimum I can get is "644"

Am I trying to the wrong thing here???

Thanks again for the help.
Derek

red_fraggle
01-19-2005, 02:04 PM
ok that doesnt make sense as 644 are LOWER permissions than 755 and you dont get errors at 755 so something screwy is definately in the works.

You could always just remove the table cell which holds the error from the template file :)

michael_s
01-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, if it is windows IIS, chmod will not work. You really need to find out your server specs, otherwise we are all wasting time. Wherever it is hosted, send support an email asking what os it is.

vinces
01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
If it was automatically installed (by something like Fantastico or similar) there can be a lot of problems sometimes. Its best to do a manual install.

DerekJ
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks all,

I asked the site owner to do it his end, and that worked OK.

Many thanks to all for the help.