PDA

View Full Version : Where is "The Boss", Michael_S ???

ridexbuilder
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
It has been months since we have seen him and a few attempts to contact him by established members of this forum have had no reply.
This includes Private Message, email and 'phone.
Has ANYONE heard from him recently?
If any of you are hosted at aabox, have you been in touch with your provider?

Apart from the automated feeds from oscommerce, there has been no posts from Michael for approx. three months. Is this an indication of a dying Project from the founder. I do hope it is not due to bad personal circumstances.

If there is sufficient interest in continuing the osCmax Project, then I am considering starting a new forum, with multiple ownership/moderation, so that this situation (no-one at the helm) is not repeated. To keep the Project alive would need the assistance of a Team, plus the community as a whole.

EJ

burt
03-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Do it.

Do oscMax how it should have been done from the start; a good core + well chosen addons, coded correctly.

ridexbuilder
03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Do it.

Do oscMax how it should have been done from the start; a good core + well chosen addons, coded correctly.
Based on bsosc? ;)

CLK
03-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Hi

Try contacting him through aabox.com.
I hear from him and his staff often (michael last week) when I have questions or concerns.

ridexbuilder
03-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I can breathe a sigh of relief - The Boss has not left the building. :D

burt
03-21-2014, 05:52 AM
If I was going to fork osCommerce, I'd fork the BS version (if you want to make use of 99% of the crappy addons) or the 2.4 version (of you want to start fresh).

Either way, osCmax is dead, thank goodness.

ridexbuilder
03-21-2014, 06:42 AM
If I was going to fork osCommerce, I'd fork the BS version (if you want to make use of 99% of the crappy addons) or the 2.4 version (of you want to start fresh).

Either way, osCmax is dead, thank goodness.
:rocket:
Neither of the two are proven working platforms.
Whilst I agree with regards to the coding/structure/implementation of many of the add-ons, to get an operational store, there are quite a few that should be in the core code. One of the major advantages of osCmax over other osC derivatives, is the inclusion of BTS. Even your bootstrap version would benefit from a modular template system that allows simple customisation to individual pages, parallel template development and template switching "at the flick of a switch".
[/Flame]

I think 'max needs a real good kick up the ass - clean out the crap, kill the bugs/quirks and get some mobile/responsive templates. Less integrated sometimes spurious features and a more modular approach. The 'core' is now around 10Mb compressed and much too large.

burt
03-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Neither of the two are proven ? Eh? 2.3.3.4 is in use on 1000s of sites, BS just adds in Bootstrap and optimises a few other areas.

You know as well as I that osCmax is dated in the extreme. No sane developer would touch it for a client.

ridexbuilder
03-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Neither of the two are proven ? Eh? 2.3.3.4 is in use on 1000s of sites, BS just adds in Bootstrap and optimises a few other areas.

That's misrepresenting what was said: you said 2.4 or bootstrap and my comment on their status still stands - both are currently in a state of flux.
End of 'debate'.

burt
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Put it this way; with some good coders, the right core and only the best addons, it could be very good.

And look back, I said if "I was going to fork" ... I know the ins and outs (of 2.3 series and 2.4 series) probably a bit better than most, so it's probably easier for me to choose which way to go.

burt
03-21-2014, 12:40 PM
You do bring up an interesting point though; templatisation. Particularly template switching - do Stores really change their look enough to warrant this ? That's a genuine question as the same is asked at the other forum..

ridexbuilder
03-21-2014, 02:29 PM
You do bring up an interesting point though; templatisation. Particularly template switching - do Stores really change their look enough to warrant this ? That's a genuine question as the same is asked at the other forum..
Totally off-topic, so answered on the other forum.
:stop::closed:

pgmarshall
03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
It is not the ability to switch template but the ability to apply a template to a bare bones store that is key.

Using BTS my live store looks nothing like basic osCmax but the framework allows me the flexibility to provide a completely customised front end.

Without a Templating System osCommerce is useless - all stores are bound to look the same or takes ages to customise ... v2.4 out of the box looks shocking ... this is why all the template stores do so well making rubbish that doesn't work but looks good.

The overall goal is to provide solid functionality to non-technical users within a templated store to allow them to purchase a "look and feel" they like.

Anyway - that is my 2ps worth and since Ridex said "topic closed" I should shut up now!

Regards,

markcm
04-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Now, back on topic...

Has there still been no sign of Michael_S?

Maybe its just me but it seems kind of strange that he would just cold turkey walk away from oscmax.

ridexbuilder
04-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Now, back on topic...

Has there still been no sign of Michael_S?

Maybe its just me but it seems kind of strange that he would just cold turkey walk away from oscmax.

A couple of weeks ago, he got in touch to say he'd be back but I reckon it was his ghost.
:skull:

markcm
06-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Still no sign from Michael_S?

I am still getting requests for donations from his account. Where would said donations go at this point?

ridexbuilder
06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Still no sign from Michael_S?

I am still getting requests for donations from his account. Where would said donations go at this point?

:curtain:
Nope.

Those emails (like the osC latest contributions on the forum) will be automated. Given the increase in spam appearing here, then it looks as though little maintenance is being done to the forum too. If you still wish to contribute to the upkeep of the forum, then that is of course, up to you.

pgmarshall
06-17-2014, 11:10 AM
I would really like Michael_S to resurface and help release 2.5.4 officially ... or at least hand over the keys for someone else to do it!

I have put hundreds of hours of work into osCmax (partially for my own store) and I would hate to fork off on my own project ... especially given the work I am doing on BootStrap.