PDA

View Full Version : Is SSL necessary if only using Paypal?

minuteman1970
01-01-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm contemplating starting up a new Oscmax shop on one of the shared web hosts which offers Oscmax as a shopping cart option. They are much cheaper than going with a VPS. They charge an arm and a leg for a dedicated SSL option, and I'm just wondering if having SSL is even necessary if I were to only offer Paypal (via Paypal Gateway) as payment option. Does having a SSL even come into play during checkout?

Thanks.

ridexbuilder
01-02-2014, 03:04 AM
I'm contemplating starting up a new Oscmax shop on one of the shared web hosts which offers Oscmax as a shopping cart option. They are much cheaper than going with a VPS. They charge an arm and a leg for a dedicated SSL option, and I'm just wondering if having SSL is even necessary if I were to only offer Paypal (via Paypal Gateway) as payment option. Does having a SSL even come into play during checkout?

Thanks.

It protects your customers details during personal details data entry. It protects password input. It provides reassurance to your customers that you are a verifiable website.
I suggest that you shop around for hosts that give a full dedicated SSL, at a sensible price. For example, I charge out a dedicated IP address at the same price that it costs me (about £2/month) and you can get a basic dedicated SSL (which does the same encryption as expensive ones) for less than £10/year.
IMHO, shared IP/SSL is fine when starting a trial but given the relatively low cost, the more appropriate dedicated option can be used from day one. Unless carefully done/explained a shared SSL can actually be counter-productive, with its' domain not matching your own site and is not something that I am in favour of.

EJ