PDA

View Full Version : Books on modifying templates for Ver 2.5

DaveSullivan
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Hi
I was just wondering if you guys know of any books available which explained some techniques to change the look of oscMax. It is a great package and from playing around with it on and off for a few months now I am really getting to like it. It is a credit to all working on the project. I am looking forward to using it on some upcoming projects of my own (At which time I will of course make a donation for each use) but I would like to play around with creating new templates first. I have done a little myself but have not been able to create anything like some of the amazing looking templates out there. I am the type of guy who likes to do things myself even though it can sometimes involve a sharp learning curve. I am relatively new to php but think I have gone a long way in a short time certainly enough to wet my appetite for more challenging results.
Obviously with your knowledge of the structure of oscmax you would be best suited to judge if a book was good.

Any advise on the topic would be much appreciated

David

michael_s
03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Any html/css book will give you all the info you need on how to change the design of osCmax.

It uses a great template system that is based on nothing more than good old html/css.

The only things you need to remember that are osCmax specific -

1. Make a copy of the fallback template as your starting point (either fallback or the much easier to edit fallback-html)
2. Then depending on which of the above you use, you edit main_page.tpl.php or main_page.html of your template to change the overall page structure/layout
3. Edit stylesheet.css in your template directory to change the colors/fonts/style to your liking.
4. If you want to customize specific pages, edit the content .tpl.php files in your templates /content directory. Any files in this directory that you are not customizing, just delete as they will not be needed. Only keep the files you change.

Those 4 items should get you far enough to make some real progress. There are more advanced features of the template system that I have not described here, but if you need something specific beyond the above just post again for help.

DaveSullivan
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Very much appreciated
Dave

niallb
03-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Any html/css book will give you all the info you need on how to change the design of osCmax.

It uses a great template system that is based on nothing more than good old html/css.

The only things you need to remember that are osCmax specific -

1. Make a copy of the fallback template as your starting point (either fallback or the much easier to edit fallback-html)
2. Then depending on which of the above you use, you edit main_page.tpl.php or main_page.html of your template to change the overall page structure/layout
3. Edit stylesheet.css in your template directory to change the colors/fonts/style to your liking.
4. If you want to customize specific pages, edit the content .tpl.php files in your templates /content directory. Any files in this directory that you are not customizing, just delete as they will not be needed. Only keep the files you change.

Those 4 items should get you far enough to make some real progress. There are more advanced features of the template system that I have not described here, but if you need something specific beyond the above just post again for help.

Ive heard about this book "Building Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd " on Sitepoint forums, do you know of it and would it be of use for OSCmax?
Ive made minor changes in CSS before (Colours/fonts) but want to be able to make some pro-looking templates that could be shared with the community

michael_s
03-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Never heard of that book, but any book that teaches html/css will be useful. If you know html/css, creating or customizing osCmax templates becomes very easy.