PDA

View Full Version : [Javascript] seo pop out menu hidden behind slides in IE6

cefyn
05-22-2011, 02:56 AM
First of all ,thanks to everyone who has made oscmax 2.5 rc1 happen.Its a huge advance on previous versions,and scores highly against magento with its usability and admin side user friendliness.
One problem though.In IE 6 the pop out menu gets hidden behind the slides.One of the great things about rc1 is that it works straight out of the box,without really needing any further customisation beyond what is available in admin.I could do with some help on this,as I don't want to break something that works so well!

pgmarshall
05-22-2011, 03:41 AM
If it is behind the slides then you will need to change the z-index of the seo popout to be higher than the slideshow ... have you tested this in other IE browsers? Is it just IE6 or does it do this in IE7, 8 and 9?

Edit: Works in Firefox and Chrome

Regards,

ridexbuilder
05-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Surprised that PGM's warning message about IE6 doesn't show up at the top of the screen.
Note: obsolete IE6 cannot/should not be officially supported!
If users are still using it for some reason, then it's beyond the time for them to desist immediately. There are alternatives.

Just what is the point in bringing out all the 'bells and whistles' in 2.5, for a luser to use an insecure, crap (that is the best word for it!) browser? No answer required.

pgmarshall
05-22-2011, 04:39 AM
The IE6 detect notification is set to false in a default install.

To enable:
Admin -> Configuration -> Templates -> Notifications -> Check for Internet Explorer 6 -> True

Even Microsoft are trying to kill off IE6 - Internet Explorer 6 Countdown (http://www.theie6countdown.com/default.aspx)

Can you check that it is only IE6 that doesn't work?

Regards,

michael_s
05-22-2011, 06:51 AM
IE6 is no longer supported by the osCmax project. If you want to make things work with IE6, you are on your own!

cefyn
05-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks all of you for your quick response and informative replies.I've only been able to test it in IE 6 and 9.It works fine in 9,and Firefox and Chrome.I don't have access to 7 and 8.
I checked my cpanel stats and found that only 2% of users on both my sites are using IE 6,18% are using IE 8, 7.2% using IE7. 44% are using various Firefoxes,7% Safari,12% Chrome,and a few Opera.
I think if it's o.k. in IE 7 and 8 theres not a problem.I'll try and check them later this week and post my findings.

ridexbuilder
05-22-2011, 08:42 AM
2% of users on both my sites are using IE 6
Most likely robots, harvesters and other 'nasties'. ;)

michael_s
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
No major players are supporting IE6 anymore. It is safe to drop it. Even Google has dropped IE6 support.

met00
05-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Reported today: WordPress Drops Support for IE 6

05/04/2011 - Microsoft's Chris Jackson was emphatic that IT shops should stop using IE 6. The browser has been shown to have major security holes in the recent past and it will lose free security update support from Microsoft in April 2014, concurrent with Windows XP's exit from Microsoft's "extended support" lifecycle status.