PDA

View Full Version : [Template Setup] Complete NOOB - Hosted OSCMax at NetFirms - how to configure site look and feel?

rosschevalier
05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I have OSCMax provided through NetFirms and can login and do some basic things but there is no option for Admin | Configuration | Template as I see noted in other posts. I want to set logos and some basic colour stuff and cannot figure out where to do so. I understand these are dumb noob questions, but they are for the moment legit for me.

Thanks in advance.

R

ridexbuilder
05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
All the versions that I've seen supplied by Netfirms are seriously out of date and shouldn't be used.
Read up in the wiki about version 2.0.25 and install that instead - it's similar to what you've seen but considerably improved and secure (which is more important). You'll also find a good few answers to your questions too.

Maybe you'd prefer to take the risk of using 2.5 RC1

met00
05-12-2011, 03:01 AM
The questions are... when do I want to launch my store? and Can I update (merge files and update the database) if I go with RC1?

osCmax 2.0.X is a good product, but support going forward will be from 2.5 and beyond. The differences between the two are large. RC1 is somewhat stable (better than Beta), but there will be fixes going into it (look at the bugtracker). As those fixes get added, updating the code should be simple, IF you have not made major modifications. The more you modify code, the harder it will be to upgrade (it's just a fact of life).

The longer time period you have before the need to release your store, the better you can get a feel for 2.5, and without any code mods, you should be able to make an easy upgrade when the time is right to launch.

ridexbuilder
05-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Or put more succinctly, do you need a working store now, or later? :p