PDA

View Full Version : osCommerce V:3

BrianM
03-23-2011, 06:53 AM
I was researching throught the various osCommerce software and have found that they are just about to release V:3.

I was interested in knowing how long will it take for this new version to be incorporated into OSCmax?

ridexbuilder
03-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Unlikely for the foreseeable future, with 'Max 2.6 already being looked at.
Consider how many contributions for osC 2.2 can be readily adapted for 'Max - compare that with those of osC 3.
As to what happens further down the line....

met00
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
The mother ship has gone in one direction, osCmax has gone in another. Think of them as parallel lines that once were together and then separated by 3 degrees. Initially you will see that there will be some ability to move one set of mods from the mother ship to osCmax, they may require minor tweaking, but overall they should move over fairly well (as was the case with 2.2 mods and osCmax 2.0.X). In osCmax 2.5 there have been major changes in restructuring the way that templates work, images, full integration of mods like SPPC and price breaks as well as all the work done to manage things like attributes, and the entire admin area has undergone drastic UI changes. In the path forward 2.6 will invoke a major re-write of categories.php in the admin side which will invoke not only jquery changes, but will add ajax functionality. In addition even new functionality, based on years of use and feedback, are planned to be integrated. As osCmax goes through these changes it will continue a trajectory that will move in a direction that may take it even further from the mother ship, Additionally, as Harold makes his design decisions, there exists the possibility that OSC will speed up the move away from where it started from in a differing direction than the development here at osCmax.

So, as I have told my son who is learning archery, and just moved from 9 meters to 18 meters that with distance from the target the small degree change made in the past will have a greater effect. If we see time as distance in this case, with time the two products should diverge enough that they will look as much alike as ZenCart looks like OSC.

That is the nature of having multiple developers working on multiple platform or core bases. ZenCart was an attack on the core of OSC, osCmax was not. But as Harold and the development team at OSC makes changes to the core, and as the osCmax development team makes changes to various functionality, it is inherent within the development process that over time there will be a divergence that will not be able to be overcome. Will that happen at 3? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on how much of the core was changed and how it was changed if changed.

[that is one heck of a long "I don't know, we'll see."]

pgmarshall
03-24-2011, 12:45 AM
they are just about to release V:3Hmmm ... I hope they do ... but I have to say they have been about to release v3 for about 2½ years now ...

The v3 osCommerce code is also a complete rewrite of the source ... almost none of the original code remains ... quite a few of the modules installed in osCmax have not been ported to the v3 framework ... and furthermore there is a lot of code in osCmax which extends these modules and which has been written specifically for osCmax.

So in answer to your question - No - the v3 source will not be merged into osCmax.

Regards,

met00
03-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Harald has marked a line in the sand: osCommerce, Countdown to Disruption! (http://countdown.oscommerce.com/)
There is also the roadmap for 2011: osCommerce, Countdown to Disruption! (http://countdown.oscommerce.com/index.php?article=roadmap)

Hmm, looks like OSC V3 in simple terms - osCommerce Support Forum (http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/372495-osc-v3-in-simple-terms/) provides the definitive answer for this thread. In post #5 Harald says

The existing Add-Ons (both for v2.x and v3.0Alpha5) are not compatible and cannot be used with v3.0.

So, if we started from the same base and osCmax 2.0.X was a 3 degree shift up... and if 2.3 OSC was a 3 degree shift down... and 2.5 osCmax is another 3 degree shift up, right there we have a separation of 9 degrees between the current version of osCmax 2.5 and the current version of OSC. Based on what Harald just posted (and looking at Burt's earlier comment) the change in direction from the OSC 2.x to the 3.X is a 90 degree shift downward.

I found this quote from Harald interesting....

The v2.x codebase is very "freestyle" meaning there are no limitations as to how to perform modifications. It is a great learning guide if you are new to PHP, however the more core modifications made, the harder it becomes to maintain the code.

The new v3.0 framework imposes strict guidelines to not only ensure a constant high level quality of code for the core framework, but also forces Add-Ons to share the same high quality standards. For example, the PHP and MySQL error reporting levels are set to their strictest level.

This makes it harder for new PHP programmers however it aids them to produce better and more secure code.

Seems that the new core looks to be a full embrace of OO-PHP. Now, I will state that I generally don't start to struggle with osCmax until have to dip into something where I deal with stuff in the /includes/classes directory, and by looking at most of the modules for OSC 2.X I guess you can say that is true for many of the coders. This does not bode well for future growth of the mothership.

Add in Burt's comment about the ready for prime time aspects of the deliverable (and Burt has been around a VERY long time) and I am even more excited about osCmax 2.5 and the direction we have taken.

ridexbuilder
03-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Jeez, you guys like battering keys! :p
The direction of osC 3 is commendable given the mess that is inherent in 2.2 and I for one embrace modularisation and an OO approach.
As a team, we have made large inroads to improve the structure of files within 'Max, which is ongoing. I'd like to see further effort made (in 2.6) to reduce duplicated code, increase the use of classes/functions and separate code into modules. The downside is that it makes porting osC 2.2 (predominantly) contributions more tricky. To folks not into the hacking of the code, this could get increasingly frustrating and may take away the appeal of 'Max.
That's my tuppence worth, in more detail. ;)

burt
03-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Harald has marked a line in the sand:
Add in Burt's comment about the ready for prime time aspects of the deliverable (and Burt has been around a VERY long time) and I am even more excited about osCmax 2.5 and the direction we have taken.

I'd suggest that if oscmax2.5 can be placed somewhere in between osc2.3.1 and oscom3, then it's likely to see a significant increase in users. 2.3.1 is, as I said in that other thread, and as everyone knows, years too late. 3 is unusable at this point for 99% of "Average Joe's", and I suggest will be unusable for at least a year.

met00
03-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Burt, is that really you? I remember when we were both newbies at the mothership (of course most of the zencart team was there with us back then too). If you have a chance I would love to hear what you have to say about the osCmax 2.5 Beta. I think you will find that the approach taken is really more in line with incremental enhancements and functionality that leverage changes in the technologies.

burt
03-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Yes, it's me lol. As yet I have not had the chance to play with the 2.5β - I registered here as I sometimes help a client with oscmax. I'll try to get on 2.5 soon.

You might also like to know that the initial v3.0 release will not contain sufficient user features to be able to run an Online Shop on. Taken from Roadmap (http://countdown.oscommerce.com/index.php?Developers&Roadmap&April).