PDA

View Full Version : [osCmax V2.0.25] Page width changes

niallb
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi,
building another site using aabox template and have noticed that the page width changes depending upon what content is in the centre of the page.
ie MyTeddyBears.co.uk : Poppel Steiff Bunny Rabbits 080005 [080005] - £29.50 (http://myteddybears.co.uk/catalog/poppel-steiff-bunny-rabbits-080005-p-27.html)
MyTeddyBears.co.uk : (http://www.myteddybears.co.uk/catalog/)
Steiff Teddy Bears : MyTeddyBears.co.uk (http://myteddybears.co.uk/catalog/steiff-teddy-bears-c-1.html)
are all different widths.
Can someone point me towards the fix for this? Im sure it must be there, I cured this on another site in OSCommerce before using includes/header.php but Oacmax doesnt seem to have this file.

ridexbuilder
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd been keen to know too - 'cos folks paste in material from all over the place, which corrupts the description area. Forcing text to wrap within the constraints of a given centre area will be useful, though large images will still screw it up.

Go into Admin and reduce the number of columns to 3 for the product listing (max values area) - that'll help. You could also change the entire shop width, to better use the screen area.

pgmarshall
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
You can not fix width of tables easily (also IE handles things differently to other major browsers).

It is best to set up your template with your image sizes in mind.

For example - your left column should be set to a minimum width = to the largest thumbnail width you have otherwise you will find the column expands to fit the image.

To prevent this - simply make sure you images fit inside the table they are in ... make you images a consistent size and shape ... only put 3 of them wide in the central frame ... etc.

Regards,

niallb
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Hi,
already have the number of products per row set on 3 - no matter what I change this to it makes no difference to how many are shown.
I can resize the images but as some are portrait and others landscape this isnt ideal either, plus I still have 4 per row on the categories page.

blackhawk
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
totally understand that you have different size product images. but if you set "either" a global height "or" global width to every product (not both), then that may you help visually....worth a test at least. In addition - another idea, which I've done on other sites is to surround your product images with <div> tags (within your code) and use display:block with a set width and height to bring more stability to spacing around your images.

just some ideas :)

niallb
03-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi,
I already had all my images set to a universal height so that the 'buy' buttons underneath them line up one the web pages- if you set a universal width the buttons are all over the place as image heights vary (setting both height & width universally gives you distorted images)
What Ive ended up doing is cropping out any excess white background width from the widest images so that they are a bit trimmer. I also cropped white from some of the smaller images and then enlarged them so that the proportions are more in scale with the others.
Now my pages are more like one another in width.
Not perfect but a lot better.
Thanks everyone for your input
:D