PDA

View Full Version : looking for a cross browser test platform

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Does anyone know of any creative software or web pages that allows multiple browser testing without actually testing in IE's browser? Something I can use on the fly?

Thanks

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 06:05 AM
I found a good link here -

Cross-Browser Testing: A Detailed Review Of Tools And Services - Smashing Magazine (http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/06/04/cross-browser-testing-a-detailed-review-of-tools-and-services/)

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 06:49 AM
The joys of VirtualBox, run different environments/browsers for free - when I remember :)
Lets you test jquery, Flash (yeuk!) and so on, which a screenshot just won't do.

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 11:43 AM
last that I recall, virtual box required more room than I had on my partition drive in order to be used properly. Unless I'm doing something wrong, its asking me for a huge amount of harddrive space to have on reserve. If this sounds weird, how did you install it on your system. On my partitioned laptop, I only have 25 Gigs of use for my linux system (ubuntu).

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 12:08 PM
yeah, i just tried installing it again and there is a message that pops up that says...

"The recommended size of the boot hard disk is 10240 MB."

Then below that are 2 buttons that says "new" or "existing"

I have no clue which one to select, or to just press next.

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 12:20 PM
These days with so much development work and clients' supplementary backups, I'm fortunate enough to have 250Gb storage. I also store about 10,000 photographs. In terms of what is actually required for complete multiple Linux installs, this space is considerably less.

Separate bootable partition 6Gb
Full blown Vbox virtual disk - Linux 6Gb - cutdown WinXP 4.5 Gb
I also run various LiveCD distributions directly via ISOs stored on disk.

When installing Linux (most modern distros.), if you allow the partitioner to do it's own thing, it will 'gobble up' as much as it can get. Choose the guided manual mode, for a much more controlled installation.
Example:
Root (/) = 4Gb
Swap = 512Mb or slightly bigger than RAM, if you wish to use hibernation.
tmp = 1Gb (for example)
home = anything from 1Gb up, depending on whether you wish to run a webserver, share data on a Windoze partition. I have a 6Gb one.
Use ext4 as the filesystems for all except tmp with should be ext2.

The above is similar to what I have, even with plenty of space, plus the addition of an independent test linux partition of 5.86Gb (arbitrarily enough for most distributions).

HTH

EJ

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll try to create new one just now... update shortly.
[If I'm doing this I ain't testing the new Category image resizer :(]

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
New Virtual Machine
Name: Linux Test
Version: Linux 2.6
RAM : 384Mb (on my 1Gb lappy)
Boot Hard Disk (ignore recommended)
Create New Hard disk
Create New Virtual Disk
Fixed Size Storage (if you value performance)
Location: browse and create in a ext4 filesystem (preferable) or (as I have done, in most cases) in an NTFS data partition, in a linux-virtual-disk directory.
Size: 5Gb - that'll be fine for most purposes.
Finish.

Once completed,
Click on system and untick floppy. Boot order to CD first.
Storage: Secondary IDE - set to a downloaded ISO or select your CD/DVD drive, with passthrough enabled.
That's the basics.
(Pop a CD/DVD disk if required.)
Start the VM and off you go - hopefully :)

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm with you so far. I promise I'm not lying but I can't find my original windows vista authentic cd for the life of me! What's your recommendations for a plan b on installing a media drive location for virtual box? my only other option is an iso file, but i don't have an iso of my system...at least i dont think.

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm in a similar situation in terms of Vista. It's a pre-installed one and I don't have a CD. Until I can figure out a way to generate an install CD (as can be done with XP), I'm unable to run a Virtual version. Given that it happily swallows 20Gb, without the addition of useful programs, I don't think that I'll bother. ;)

If you download an ISO eg. Linux Mint (my fav.) then you can not only dual boot Vista (if you wish) but also run it in a virtual machine, using Vbox, under Vista.
'Lighter' distributions can use up considerably less disc space.
http://distrowatch.com

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
you mean create a linux .iso and then run it in windows when trying to install a media driver? if so, i'll give it a shot. I have ubuntu installed. so what i'll do is create an iso of ubuntu, then try to use that iso as the media driver (testing in windows first, then in ubuntu).

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
You're very confused!
If you have Ubuntu installed, then you must already have downloaded an ISO of it (unless you purchased a CD - d'uh).
You can use either Virtualbox in Vista or (better) in Ubuntu, to setup and run Virtual Machines. In fact I run my VMs in Mint and can switch virtual desktops in an instant, to a different OS.

Virtual Media Manager : Just run through the same process as I described. Instead of a physical CD, you can choose to use a pre-downloaded ISO, stored on your HDD, either on a Linux, or Windows partition.
Here's a tiny one to try it out on...
BrowserLinux (http://www.browserlinux.com/)
Off to give it a go, m'self ;)

blackhawk
09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
sweet - thanks for the tip. I am on a learning curve so i apologize about that but so far we're rocking. I got browserlinux 400 running on virtualbox from within ubuntu (not windows). I mounted the browserlinux iso file as the media device and installed it. I can run it now through virtual box and it works!

Now can i use the same iso (browserlinux 400) to set up a windows virtual machine? or do I have to use a different iso? this is where I am learning. The bottom line is that I want to be able to access IE 7 or 8 or both from within virtualbox on Ubuntu, but I can't find my original windows cd! sucks!

thanks

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Browserpuppy looks go be a good choice :-D
Firefox 4b5 plus Chrome, as standard.

Brief Tutorial

Approx. 4 mins. to download ~100Mb (slow site).
Fired it up in Vbox - took a while to boot the 1st time (building a network driver list) - about 2 mins.
Performance was quite poor (not unexpected for a LiveCD version).
Went to Menu, More Apps and have begun an install.
Gparted: (using the previously created Virtual disc) Created 4Gb / (root) 512Mb tmp and 512Mb swap.
Right-click on the / partition, Manage flags and select boot.
Now installing to the virtual disc... chose sda1 to install to, from (virtual) CD and a Full (not Frugal) install.
During install, there's an error about dependencies - just pressed OK.
Install/ update GRUB
Select all the defaults (install grub to sda1) until grub is installed.
Menu, Shutdown (to close down the virtual machine). Don't save the session.

Back in virtual box.. In system change the boot order to Hard disc first.
Start the VM.

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 02:58 PM
You can use most OS ISOs in Virtualbox, regardless of Host OS. [Qemu is a Vbox alternative, though not so versatile, IMO.]
You don't need to install a LiveCD to a virtual disc, to try them out but they do run slower.
I have a partition dedicated to storing a heap of ISOs (about 30 currently) and just boot up whatever takes my fancy, from time to time.
Not all Linux ISOs like to run in Virtualbox, so bear that in mind.
If you boot an ISO from CD or USB (try UnetbootIn), then you can use GParted to resize your laptop existing partitions. Make sure that you do disc checks on Windows partitions and defrag them a couple of times first.

Now then, time to chill at midnight - read, a quick browse, check on the server and maybe look at that horrible categories.php file again. For a while.

ridexbuilder
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
D'ya reckon the content of this should be moved to a thread of its' own? ;-)

ridexbuilder
09-23-2010, 02:12 AM
To answer your specific IE query:

I use Wine/Winedoors in Linux to run IE6 (not sure if 7 or 8 will run, at the mo').
I boot Vista for IE8 (and promptly reboot to Linux as soon as I can - running through treacle is a good analogy).
I run a Virtual WinXP for IE7, Safari, Opera and Chrome. (sometimes Firefox, for OS/font comparison). Note that I run this VM in 1024x78, rather than widescreen, to check layouts.

I use Linux Mint for Firefox, Chromium (only for Google Wave) and Midori (a super fast FF alternative). On a rare occasion I also run Opera - mainly when I don't want to clear FF cache, during development.

HTH