PDA

View Full Version : Php book I find helpful

JohnW
10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
I think this can help some people so I hope my words don't fall on deaf ears but if it only helps one then it's worth it.

I recently bought a couple php books for reading on the subject when I'm not at the computer but have a little reading time and my mind's on the subject. Now, I'll openly admit that I have the attention span of a house fly so reading books has always been a challenge for me because of that. Anyway, for those of you not familiar with Sitepoint they have an assortment of web code oriented books and I bought this one
Build Your Own Database Driven Web Site Using PHP & MySQL, 4th Edition
Build*Your*Own Database*Driven*Web*Site Using*PHP*&*MySQL, 4th Edition - SitePoint Books (http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql4/)
by kevin yank which was updated this summer and I find it pretty good for explaining things very well. I just realized some things that I wasn't getting and it's a great feeling so I wanted to share.

I bought some other books on the subject but I like the way this one flows and explains things.

Hope this helps someone.

ridexbuilder
10-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for sharing. [The only books I can read cover-cover are techy ones].

kevin yank Unfortunate name? :p:)

JohnW
10-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Lol, yea it is, and I'm sure he's heard a lot about it throughout his life. My last name is Wisdom and I can't tell you how many times I've heard remarks about it. Of course, it's not an unfortunate last name.

JohnW
10-21-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm on page 222 so almost half way through this book and I have to say it's helping me quite a bit on not only understanding php and mysql better but it's giving me some great ideas. There are things I'd like to do but haven't had a good starting point or found examples to work from. Once again, I recommend this book to not only absolute beginners but those like me that have a little knowledge and are dangerous.

By the way, they have a sample download for free to get a feel for the book.

Anyone else have any recommendations.

ridexbuilder
10-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Anyone else have any recommendations.
Aye, put that new found knowledge to good use and help sort the bug-tracker issues. :p
:thug:

:jester:

JohnW
10-21-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm not good enough yet, but I've put some solutions in there that don't have any movement yet either. I think Mike has a pretty full plate.

ridexbuilder
10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
BTW; Run round the corner and kick JPF back to life. ;)