PDA

View Full Version : Why won't you help me?

bico959
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
why do you keep closing my thread out? Why can't you help me? The email files were changed by oscMax, so it IS an oscMax issue. I have set up email on the server like you suggested in the other thread that you closed so i couldn't post. Still not working. Can you PLEASE help? I've googled but can't find any info on how to deal with this anywhere else but here. PLEASE HELP ME... and I will go away.
Rob

MindTwist
07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I can only see where they closed your thread one time (unless it is completely gone, which I doubt). And, as you have already been answered, you obviously need an email server to send emails.

- If you are just testing a store locally, you will have email server when you move to a real host.

- If you are planning on hosting your store yourself, ... oh wait, you are not.

- If you want to use a third party email server (like your personal AT&T account), then find out how to configure it yourself. If AT&T requires authentication, then you will have to find out how to do it yourself, since it is something that does not come with OSCommerce/OSCMAX (and guess why? because it is a very bad idea)

bico959
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
i found a way to deal with this. OScommerce has a contribution that fixes the problem. Thanks for the info...

jpf
07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
why do you keep closing my thread out? Why can't you help me? The email files were changed by oscMax, so it IS an oscMax issue. I have set up email on the server like you suggested in the other thread that you closed so i couldn't post. Still not working. Can you PLEASE help? I've googled but can't find any info on how to deal with this anywhere else but here. PLEASE HELP ME... and I will go away.
Rob
You been answered - it not an OSCMAX related issue/problem/bug/feature to setup or configure a SMPT server.

I don't think osCMax ever changed your server's email configuration - so it is not a osCMax issue. Since osCMax (and may other version of osC) are installed on 100,000+ servers - emails works just fine for the other 99,999+.

I am not a server "expert". But I can even setup an configure a SMTP or even a windows based "sendmail" server. I have GOOGLE for YOU on this issue and had found way over 4,000,000 of possible ways on how to setup mail server on Windows. Like this (http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=setup+smtp+server+windows&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D&aq=0&oq=) or this (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=setup+sendmail+server+windows&btnG=Search&meta=).

If you want to use something that work - fine. Just totally unneeded for any proper production server and is bad idea if you don't know what your doing (which is obvious).

I am not heavy handed - but if we wanted you gone it would have already have been done..... but that is just way to rude - and we don't want to do that unless the person is really bad (ie a SPAM poster).

Something that is a bad idea and is bad practice does not mean that something will go bad today - but it will when you lease expect it. I don't encourage bad ideas - hence why when you did a service request on my commercial site - I originally answers with a minimal solution but did not accept work that is based on implementation of a bad idea and will not respond again to help implement that bad idea.

I have people that want to pay me to stop bad practices and to get thing done the right way.

In my day job - I have spent on IT resources nearly 90,000 just on IT Consultants and about the same for IT Programing in the last 6 months (out of 250,000 total spent on just IT) to implement a nearly 3/4 million dollar project over then next 2 years. (No I can't pocket it myself - besides I deal with larger amount than that on a daily bases)

Spend 60 or 70 bucks a year is like nothing. I make that on Monday evening working for a friend to help him out. Well, Okay it was more like $50 and I was there for like 2 hours.

bico959
07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Did you ever go into an auto parts store and try to buy something you know you need and want and they try to talk you out of it and treat you like you are an idiot? I know what i want to do and how i want to do it. Yes i can have someone else host this stuff but this is my hobby and this is how i want to do things.

And you charged your friend to help him? That says it all... Thanks for your "help".

jpf
07-25-2009, 12:47 PM
So why do you go into an auto part store to get bags of cement for your drive way to park car on? Hey it is FOR your car right!

I am sure the auto part store "forum" would inform you of where to get what you need. But will most likely not explain the types and grades of the different cement brands and manufacture (cause each store could have different types) and show you how to mix, apply and finish it. They might tell you to talk to an expert on the cement "forum" or go and read the instructions on the bag.

PS: I did not "charge" him. He needed professional help for his business and offered to pay - knowing that normally for that work I would normally get paid more that that.

I guess if you have a business - you would get all your friends to help out, expecting that you would give them nothing and you get keep all the profit. That says it all... I bet they would thank you "helping" you out.

bico959
07-25-2009, 03:03 PM
that's a bit off don't you think? more like i went into a foreign parts store and was asking about a Chevy transmission. i get that. When you consider that oscMax uses the email system from oscommerce, you do somewhat have to support it. Maybe, to be more productive, you could have told me that you don't support the parts of oscommerce that are original and only the oscmax mods. I get that. no problem. what i did take offense to is the shutting down of the thread without the ability to reply to your comment. It's very "i'm getting the last word" and not necessary. In the interest of being helpful, if that is what you truly are looking to do, you could simply have pointed me to the files that are part of the email function, suggested some ideas and been done. Is it helpful that you spout about your function of your job and the money you are responsible for? not really. I assume, because you are the support person and have the moderator and associated credentials, that your information is credible. Puffing up your ego helps me not in the slightest. I appreciate your links to information on the sendmail server as i have never set one up. I have been working with networks for years and simply never been down that road. I guess the word was missing was "sendmail". I followed your suggestions as best i could before you cut me off on the first thread regarding this but was unable to continue because i had additional questions. I got a brick wall. Point me elsewhere and i'm done. I now have that info and will go elsewhere. Again, i appreciate the help.

jpf
07-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Uh no..not a bit off. A transmission still does the same fuction - regardless of the form factor or manufacture. If you go into a "transmission repair shop" and still ask for that cement that hold up your car that has a transmission - they would still tell you to look elsewhere like a home reno or cement place..

The underlining SERVER and the configuration of BASIC server software is not part of the Ecommerce software. Think of the Ecommerce sofware as a type of CAR and we are like auto parts store that specializing in Ecommerce cars called osCMax.... Yes if you ask about the ZenCart car- we may have some parts - and we can direct you a bit better......

Now a server is like roads - There are slow roads and fast roads and gavel road..... each one lets certain type of vehicles like bicycles motor-bikes trucks and even cars run on it..take the osCMax as a car-don't know how the server or roads are made but know which type of road it can run on..... If you build your own non-standard road and leave major holes in it or gaps - what is the car going to do. Stop, brake, or not work very well. If you ask the Auto parts store about how to fix the broken car? is it osCMax car? - Sure....but how to fix the broken road?...well you made the road or if you did not - well then they would tell you to go to "road store" to find your solution like cement.

But if the auto store agreed with you on fixing the road by filling it with say mud....what would we be saying? Mud is a bad idea - yea it may work. Until it rains and/or a lot of cars go on it--it will not be a pretty site.

And yes the osCommerce (and thus much of osMax) is a foreign or import car - however like Toyota USA (much like osCMax) - many are made domestically with local and imported parts. Now us as a "foreign parts store" or a Toyota approved repair shop (ie: we support osCMax) - if you ask about a Chev (lets say X-CART - which is also php based) transmission and we only have part that work with Toyotas we may have a few parts that are interchangeable - like bolts and OIL, maybe a even bearing - cause they are "standard parts".... But don't expect us to know or make recommendations on fixing a road - specially when it is NOT a recommended road.

We not a support site that specialized in server setup and configurations - we are not a support site for EasyPHP or any other WAMP. Most of which - if not ALL - states clearly that they are not recommended or should NOT BE USED for production servers. As these have many function turned off and is not configured for full time use. Mostly they are a developmental tool.

Why would not look into your server's email setup (the road). It not a function of osCMax(the car).

Yes osCMax uses the same technology as osCommerce. Which uses certain common server standards (like car bearing or PHP etc). If you use something that is NON-Standard or as in your case is not properly setup. Why would osCommerce or osCMax support that? Or in my case..Why would I endorse or recommend a very poor solution.

bico959
07-26-2009, 09:34 AM
i prefer to inform people and then let them make "an informed decision". As an engineer, i'm for solving the problem. And, just so you konw, I've been running websites on my windows platform for nearly 10 years, trouble-free. YOU don't recommend it. fine. This is what works for me and is what I WANT to do. Providing this contribution then not supporting the many people that ARE running this on a windows platform is ignoring all the many people that are like me: solving the problem and doing just fine. if you don't recommend it, DON't but that doesn't mean you have to be condescending and rude about it (shutting down threads, etc. ). Maybe you should put a huge disclaimer in front of the download for this saying it's not supported on a Windows platform. At least then you would be screening out a lot of people and you probably won't have nearly as many posts to deal with here. From someone that worked in customer/tech support for a very high end TV studio produciton as a career, I can tell you: you have a lot to learn about "support" and about how to work with people. Good luck. This will be my last post. you can shut down this thread now. I know you want to.

MindTwist
07-26-2009, 12:30 PM
From what I have seen, nowhere has been said that there is no support for Windows platform. I would not recommend it, but OSCMAX (and OSCommerce) can run perfectly under a Windows platform.

But, OSCMAX, as other programs has some requirements. They might be something like a web server, a SQL server, PHP, and of course an email server if you expect to send any emails (which I guess that anyone who wants to have an online store, wants to do).

If you want your online store to automatically print all emails on paper, print the address on a sticker, and have someone email the order inside an envelope instead of sending emails, you can of course do so. But the fact that you do not want to have an email server doesn't mean that OSCMAX isn't working, since you are the one that does not want to meet a given requirement (for whatever reason you might have).

You state on your first post that it IS a OSCMAX issue that you can not send emails using your personal AT&T account. I say that it IS NOT an OSCMAX issue, since you are the one that wants to do things their way and doesn't want to use an email server, and it IS NOT an OSCMAX issue that it doesn't print emails and puts them on an envelope to be mailed, but of course you can go ahead and make whatever adaptation you need to make it happen.

If you have already been able to make it work with an external email account, on an external email server that requires authentication, good for you.

bico959
07-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Just so it may help others i will post this one last post:

Here is how i would have answered my original question: "Although we here at osCMax don't support osCommerce's modules not modified by osCMax, we understand that there are many like you who are using and testing osCMax on Windows based servers. To answer your question however about using email servers that require authentication, we here as osCMax don't recommend this setup and won't support it, however osCommerce does have a contribution that extends the email function to allow for this setup. I think you should be warned about the risks of using this method and its use should only be considered as a very temporary solution or test work around ONLY. You may be able to get support for this scenario via osCommerce. Here are the links to the associated material. Good luck" (Or something like that. This would have been very helpful and may help others as well.) "Here is the link to the contribution: osCommerce Community Add-Ons (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/901) "

jpf
07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Just so you know the statement is flawed/wrong - to a point and at a few places.

Although we here at osCMax don't support osCommerce's modules not modified by osCMax....
Not quite right - but we help people who are looking for an add-on. You were not looking for an add-on but to fix your server setup - not normally an osCMax issue. We can't know everything that is possibly out there and "support" it all. This is a peer to peer support.

...we understand that there are many like you who are using and testing osCMax on Windows based servers.
OSes has very little to do with it. OSCMAX just like osCOmmerce can run on any properly configured server like: Linux, Unix(like FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, OpenBSD), AS/400, Mac OS X, and of course Windows which are all supported - cause they all use the same underline setup and functions. If the underlining functions are not setup or turned off - then set it up and turn in on.

osCMax and osCommerce prefers using Apache web software and required PHP and MySQL properly setup. If which there are many ways to setup and configure them. So we concentrate on largest group that is installed on the web (over 50% of web attached server for web pages use Apache - plus many have php & MySQL too). Just because your NOT using a properly connected and incorrectly setup server is not osCommerce or osCMax fault.
To answer your question however about using email servers that require authentication,
At no point did you specify requiring authentication. But did point out the issue.

we here as osCMax don't recommend this setup and won't support it,Again - it is SELF HOSTING that we don't recommend and you were notified. Plus using a configuration that it self states that 'is not recommended for live production server' or similar warning/wording depending in the WAMP package.

Don't get us wrong - both myself and Micheal use a WAMP. But for what it is should used for. For localhost testing, development and other offline activities
however osCommerce does have a contribution that extends the email function to allow for this setup. Actually it isn not osCommerce that does....it is chen binghua, with help from Ray Knapp and company...that is available on osCommerce site.

This again is mod is not needed in a properly configured server to by-pass normal server attached standards. Since your not using business or professional class internet connection - you "Server" may limited to a HOME level service. Thus some issues there. If you work with the internet operation center of your ISP then they could fix that (?might cost more $?) then be able to properly configure your server.

I think you should be warned about the risks of using this method and its use should only be considered as a very temporary solution or test work around ONLY.Okay - your correct - I did warn you....
You may be able to get support for this scenario via osCommerce. Here are the links to the associated material. Good luck" (Or something like that. This would have been very helpful and may help others as well.) "Here is the link to the contribution: osCommerce Community Add-Ons "Well cause not disclosing the above "authentication" and having already told you what to do to fix the situation. With over 600 new modification and 3200 files added PER YEAR by USERS on osCommerce site. We don't know ever possible one. We did do our due diligence with the information you gave and having provided a proper min solution.

Something that is a bad idea - is still a bad idea - no mater how much you want to harp on it.

bico959,

Your still asking and talking about the cement to patch the hole in the road to the auto parts store clerk? I come to think of it, you can get metal wheel ramps that people use to get under cars to do oil change and such....maybe you can use to get your car across that gap in the road. With enough fiddling and work - you can make that metal to cover that gap and if your careful to thread your car (and everyone else mail..errr car...) over this ramp it might still work. I hope nothing will break for you. Hoh - by the way it is still not a good solution.

I kind of like this auto part imagery.