PDA

View Full Version : Displaying product's dimensions

Bones
06-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Is there a way to display the height, length and width of a product on it's page together with it's description etc?

Thanks

michael_s
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah, just type it into the description. Seems pretty straightforward. Is that not what you mean?

Bones
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
You'd think so, but it seems too much of a chore for my client to enter it twice.

michael_s
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Where else do they enter it?

Must be a feature I never use...If it is in the database you could just query the info and display it on the product page.

jpf
06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Note: The BOX/Shipping dimensions are not necessarily the product size. IE a laptop that is 9"x11.25"x0.75" is possibly shipped in a box that is 13"x16"x6" ---or over 15 times the volume (and thus up to 15 times the weight when a min cubic weight ratio exists - LIKE air freight)!. If a min Cubic of 15lbs/ft3 - a 3.5lbs laptop (plus maybe 2-3 lbs packing/box) would have to be air freighted at 11 pounds.

If it is the shipping SIZE you want to list then add in the PHP code the mySQL name along with any other html code you want to format around it with into the product listing where you want it.

JohnW
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Size is a huge issue when you ship oversized items thus the greatness of UPSxml with dimension support. It's $43 for a 60x16x10 box shipped to LA versus $11 for a regular 31x10x15.

jpf
06-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Size is a huge issue when you ship oversized items thus the greatness of UPSxml with dimension support. It's $43 for a 60x16x10 box shipped to LA versus $11 for a regular 31x10x15.

UPS has both MIN cubic weight requirements and a length and girth MAX (165" total & with a max of 108" for length) so you can ship anywhere from a 14.5x14.5x108" box or a 1.5x40.5x40.5" or 33x33x33 and anything in between. There is a surcharge for packages over 130" in lenght and girth. Somewhere I had a calibrated chain that was supplied from UPS for this!!!!

So a 60x16x10" would be 112" and should not be getting this surcharge - however ship this by air anywhere or ground international and that box is now billable as a MIN weight of 64 lbs! (or more if actual weight is greater)
The 31x10x15 is a min bill rate of 28lbs

Pack a Muffler assembly in that box - that MIGHT weigh 20 or 30 lbs..... - more than double the freight charge due to DIM weight.

What I think your getting is a Handling charge for: Any package with the longest side exceeding 60 inches or its second longest side exceeding 30 inches. (as per page 155 of there guide http://www.ups.com/media/en/retail_rates.pdf )

THUS if you cut the box down say an INCH or two - you save $43.00

BOILS down to - there is a lot of restriction, rules and requirments - but with a little know how - you can MAX the shipping while min the freight costs.

Suggest using a Mortise Marking Gauge (ether with a metal PIN or a wheel to score the card board - fold the flaps all the way open an down - find the dept to cut down and run the gauge on the top edge but on the INSIDE of the box - just hard enough to "dent" the cardboard . Cut the corners down to the score - now fold in your "enlarged" flaps) - I got mine for like $5.00 (Plastic). A company I worked for has two wood w/metal trim - one of them is 40 or 50 years old - Sill works! Saves packing material and DIM weight.

JohnW
06-10-2009, 07:11 AM
I remember those chains. My partner is actually in charge of all the production and shipping, but we also use/used a 58x8x16 and a 57x7x15 and the 58 inch is significantly less than the 60" so 58 the preferred box when it will work. California is extreme with certain areas being the highest for shipping charges mainly because we ship from the East coast. The 60" is around $20 in the East coast. Air freight is kind of shocking sometimes especially on these boxes.

Basically, I sell long branches/bamboo so the long boxes are needed and we go up 72" for a few things. But, the dimensional support in the UPS module made it possible to have accurate shipping quotes on these items. Branches turned into a huge part of our business and the module works well for other items too.

That's great idea using the mortise making gauge and I know what you are talking about but never would have thought of that.

I think it was Halmal (spelling?) that made an excel sheet with a ton of box sizes listed and their shipping factor but UPS has changed their methodology a little since then.

jpf
06-10-2009, 12:54 PM
UPS has these specification for 0ver 25 years that I know of5 (As long as UPS has offered service where I live - prior they did not service Canada at all.) - nothing changed other than Some min went down and MAX went up and FEES out of the ying-yang.

Mortise Marking Gauge/Cabinet Scribe is a very BASIC tool. Shipping companies manufacture a "Box Sizing Tool" - which normally ALL metal (cheaper ones are Plastic) and normally has a Metal wheel with teeth or a perforator (they may be taller to make a LARGER box tiny, but then your cutting down a more expensive box) - they sells for anywhere from 30 to 100's of dollars. My $5 special works just as good - no wheel to fall off or need replacement - after 40 years using a wood one - it paid for itself Hundreds of THOUSANDS - over the time - shipping some wear of about 200 millions of dollar of merchandise - ALL with using a $5.00 tool. (cost in the 1950/1960? $0.50 or $0.75 each??)

Hoh I thing the pin was replaced - Twice! Once some twit thought nib needed "adjusting" and he lost it - the other metal nib wore down -- by cardboard.