PDA

View Full Version : Does this featured products mod work for OscMax?

gregdavidson
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I may have asked this before but I'm not sure whether I got an answer. Does the mod at the link below work for OscMax?

osCommerce Community Add-Ons (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/651)

jpf
06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Several people added this into there store. No idea which one. Make sure you add it in manually and edit each file where needed and not copy over any existing files. If you have issues - post on the forum with details.

gregdavidson
06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I manually followed the instructions in the installation file and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not getting any errors so I guess I did something right. Does anybody know if there's something different I have to do to make it work with OscMax? The instructions that came with it are for Oscommerce.

gregdavidson
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
One area that I may have gotten wrong was STEP 13. It says to change two lines in index.php file in the main directory. I actually found those two lines in the fallback template folder in index.default.tpl and index.nested.tpl. And for some odd reason the "What's New" box is still appearing in the left column on the homepage. Did I do something wrong here?

jpf
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Boxes are handled by the Infobox Admin - turn it off if you want just to display the feature products.

gregdavidson
06-08-2009, 10:34 AM
How would I do that? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

gregdavidson
06-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I also noticed that STEP 15 and 15.1 is impossible since those two files don't exist.

Step 15:
To use Featured Products 1.5.9 contribution with STS 4.5.3:

Tags for infoboxes are all created in: catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_column_left.php.

Open catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_column_left.php

Find:

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'specials.php');
$sts->restart_capture ('specialbox', 'box'); // Get special box
$sts->template['specialfriendbox']=$sts->template['specialbox']; // Shows specials or tell a friend

Add after:

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'featured.php');
$sts->restart_capture ('featuredbox', 'box'); // Get featured box
$sts->template['featuredbox']=$sts->template['featuredbox']; // Show featured products

Step 15.1:
New boxes and template variables are added in the includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php file.

Open includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php file.
Find the following sample code already in includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php:

$sts->start_capture();
echo "\n<!-- Start Category Menu -->\n";
echo tep_draw_form('goto', FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'get', '');
echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('cPath', tep_get_category_tree(), $current_category_id, 'onChange="this.form.submit();"');
echo "</form>\n";
echo "<!-- End Category Menu -->\n";
$sts->stop_capture('catmenu');

Add the following code immediately after:

$sts->start_capture();
include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/featured.php');
$sts->stop_capture('featuredbox');

jpf
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Infobox Admin is in you Admin under Infobox Admin.... Self explanatory on where to place or not any boxes you have....

I also noticed that STEP 15 and 15.1 is impossible since those two files don't exist.

Step 15:
To use Featured Products 1.5.9 contribution with STS 4.5.3:

We don't use STS...a limited template system. BTS is more flexible. --Skip it I would say.

Does the Feature products come up okay? If so just turn off unused boxes....

gregdavidson
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't see an option to turn it off. Just to delete it. Should I delete the What's New box?

gregdavidson
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I just deleted the What's New box and it still doesn't seem to be working. I also forgot to mention that I'm not seeing the featured products link in the administrator area like there's supposed to be.

jpf
06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Go into ADMIN=>InfoboxAdmin =>InfoboxAdmin
Find the item you want to change --ie What's new - Click on the PALE RED button to turn it off. (now the green should be PALE and the red BRIGHT)

Add in your NEW info box as needed.

gregdavidson
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
This doesn't seem to be working. I guess I can't use this mod. Are there any alternatives to using the Newest Products? The problem I'm having is that those products disappear after the month is over. I need some kind of alternative to this.

jpf
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Featured Products does work - if installed properly. "New Product" is only for new products added with in the month....so yes after a month there is no "New Product" added - then there is nothing new.....

As I have stated - carefully install - use the Infobox Admin to add the file (not in the left/rightcolumn.php files) -and use that to place where you want. ADD any "Featured Product" you want - until you remove them as a feature. Use the Infobox Admin to disable "New Product" if you want.

If your not seeing the Featured Products OPTION in the ADMIN - you may have not assigned any access to the files. Use the "Administrator" menu to add access to NEW files and assign user groups to have access.

gregdavidson
06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I actually just found the mod below and it works like a charm!!!! It only took me about 2 minutes to install it. Not quite as good as being able to choose your featured products but at least the products won't expire.

osCommerce: Random Products (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3410/page,62)

MindTwist
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Featured products works great with OSCMAX. There are some differences on the installation due to OSCMAX template system, but once you know a little bit how BTS/OSCMAX works, it is quite an easy mod to install.

gregdavidson
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Can you give me some advice on how to install it?

jpf
06-09-2009, 05:39 PM
What problem are you having? Carefully read the instructions. Note the above comments.

jpf
06-09-2009, 05:57 PM
As per instructions - Ignore Steps 14 (use the infobox admin to add the file and mark it for the left or right column)& 15 (is only for STS)
Step 20 - you have to configure the ADMIN SECURITY to allow access to FEATURE.PHP and select_featured.php files (as per above).

What other issue do youi have?

MindTwist
06-09-2009, 11:58 PM
No, I can not give you any exact comment. I can tell you that the version I installed is Featured Products 161 with STS 453 instructions, and that I kept the new products module as it is.

You can check it out here, http://www.twistedtienda.com . First 6 products are "specials", next 3 products are "featured", last 3 products are "new products".

gregdavidson
06-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for your help guys but I think the randomizer will do just fine. I would've been fine with the Newest Products feature if the products didn't disappear so soon.