PDA

View Full Version : Looking to install locally??

unicorncove
01-26-2004, 09:38 PM
I just downloaded the OSCommerce2.2ms2 yesterday and then today heard that MS2-MAX is better. I haven't installed it yet (I haven't really figured out how...)

Keeping in mind I am a complete beginner here...

1) Is it possible to install MS2-MAX just on Windows and develop it offline, then upload it to a web-host later (when I get one)? I have also installed IBServer (though I also don't know how to use that yet--it was recommended) and I am working on WindowsXP

2) If it IS possible, is there any straight-forward, relatively easy-to-understand instruction on how to install it?

jpf
01-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Install onto a Windows "localhost" for testing/prototyping/programing/reviewing - can do!

Install a triad or WAMP package would be one of the fastest ways (WAMP - Windows installer for Apache, MySQL, and PHP - all in ONE package/install. LAMP -is the same thing but for Lunix)

Try http://appserv.sourceforge.net/
It said it can it has a 20 sec installation - out of the box use. Also installed PHPMyAdmin which is often mentioned in many post here that you may have to use from time to time.

Your "IP" would be http:\\localhost or 127.0.0.1

From that - you should be able to transfer over to a Lunix box your files and database.

1. "Install" on both to create the proper configure.php files for each server.

(make any changes on your local "TEST" server)

2. Backup your test/finished shop's database

3. Transfer that "dump file" to your production server (that you already installed OSC on it to create the configure.php files) and restore in admin or use phpmyadmin to overwrite the DB.

4. Transfer all files (PHP and images files) - EXCEPT your configure.php files - use the ones the install from step 1 created.

From that point on - all you have to do is transfer any files that change on your "test" server to the live server to "update" it. You can update your "test" database by using OSC admin BACKUP/RESTORE feature (backup on your "live" system then transfer the file to your "test" system and "restore" it - just don't do the reverse!!!! Unless you close the site down while you make any "local" changes to the DB!)

Good Luck.

unicorncove
01-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok, I already have IBServer installed (which also contains PHPmyadmin)--you'll have to bear with me here, all of this is completely new!--so I think I have what I need in that department (although I have NO idea how it all works--I assume I'll see when I get to work on my site)

I downloaded OSCommerce before I heard of the MAX version. Should I just download MAX from here, or do I need to get rid of OSC first? --and which exactly should I download?

From that - you should be able to transfer over to a Lunix box your files and database

What is a lunix box?

My main confusion is how to install on http://localhost in the first place. Do I still telnet? The wiki docs only tell how to upload online (and even THAT doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...) Even if I have to go through the whole thing again later, I just want to have something I can work/play with offline so I can get the hang of it. It's just figuring out how to open everything so I can use it! --btw, I also have TSW WebCoder, which was recommended to me.

I know I can learn this stuff once I get started, it's just a matter of getting started!
There should be a wiki for complete and total beginners...

Thank you for your help! It seems that no one on the OSC forums are really interested in helping beginners...

jpf
01-27-2004, 12:26 PM
It seems that no one on the OSC forums are really interested in helping beginners...

Yea - that is why I am here - tired of the "RTFM" attiude there and everyone like "the_bear" coming down on the beginners...

I downloaded OSCommerce before I heard of the MAX version. Should I just download MAX from here, or do I need to get rid of OSC first? --and which exactly should I download?

If you want MS2-MAX then download it from the link to AABOX.com site... If you don't need/want the orginal OSC then the trash bin is okay.

From that - you should be able to transfer over to a Lunix box your files and database

What is a lunix box?

Linux - sorry. A unix like server. Mostly free OS for servers and workstations.

My main confusion is how to install on http://localhost in the first place. Do I still telnet? The wiki docs only tell how to upload online (and even THAT doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...)

No you don't have to.... The theory is that if your programing then setting up localhost and such you should already know about using localhost.... However most people that use/setup OSC/MS2-MAX and such are mostly end users or people who are NOT deep into web programing.

The easy way to do it is to find the directory that the WEB SERVER software is using as your ROOT

ie: c:\www\ or C:\Inetpub\wwwroot or such....

Take the ZIP file and unarchive the "catalog" directory directly into that subdirectory (if your on 2000/XP/2003 - this is very important! - That way the files can take the "IUSR" USER permissions that should be set on that directory. - *See NOTE BELOW)

ie:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\includes
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\catalog\admin
.... (all other files etc)

Then using a GOOD text editor to edit your files (The FREEWARE progam NOTETAB or shareware UltraEdit are good ones to work with). Brush up on your CSS (cascading style sheets) and edit your stylesheet.css to get the color look you want (with the default layout) - then add in your own graphics etc...

From this point you should be able to point your browser to http:\\localhost (or 127.0.0.1) to get your "main page" or type in http:\\localhost\catalog\install start the install as per the install instructions. Then after to open up your new OSC site http:\\localhost\catalog and to open up the admin interface http:\\localhost\catalog\admin

Then feal free to using a GOOD text editor to edit your files (The FREEWARE progam NOTETAB or shareware UltraEdit are good ones to work with). Brush up on your CSS (cascading style sheets) and edit your stylesheet.css to get the color look you want (with the default layout) - then add in your own graphics etc...

I know I can learn this stuff once I get started, it's just a matter of getting started!
There should be a wiki for complete and total beginners...

Thank you for your help!

A while ago I was a beginner too. The WIKI is for beginners also - just not that good for beginner programmers.....or for people that want to tweek with it.

Good Luck!

NOTE: IUSR - Window NT/2000/XP/2003 using NTFS file system has a file/directory level user security. For security - INTERNET users and all other unknown user/clients (client like a bowser) using your "localhost" server are denide access to ALL your files. When you install a WEB SERVICE - like for WEBPAGES - you have to give these USER access to your WEB files. Normally it create a folder like C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ (unless you move /change it from the default) and gives permission to a special user "Internet Guest Account" or "IUSR" - the name is generated using your machine name but always has "IUSR" in it.

ANY files save/copied/created outside of this directory DOES not automatically get "IUSR" permmissions. So any files/directory move into your folder will NOT have the proper permissions. -You MAY have to assign manually this. (right click on the folder/files then select Properties the select Security tab then "ADD" this user - browse to add or type in the FULL NAME - add with full READ/WRITE permissions.)

See my posts on this or OSC site for more details. (search for post made under my user name and a string of "IUSR")

unicorncove
02-02-2004, 02:48 PM
No you don't have to.... The theory is that if your programing then setting up localhost and such you should already know about using localhost.... However most people that use/setup OSC/MS2-MAX and such are mostly end users or people who are NOT deep into web programing.

Not only am I "not deep into web programming", I have NEVER done it before (hence all the silly questions!)
--btw, knowing that I've never done it, and know virtually NOTHING about this, is it still a worthwhile endeavor? Which leads me to my next question...

The easy way to do it is to find the directory that the WEB SERVER software is using as your ROOT

How do I find that?

Then using a GOOD text editor to edit your files (The FREEWARE progam NOTETAB or shareware UltraEdit are good ones to work with). Brush up on your CSS (cascading style sheets) and edit your stylesheet.css to get the color look you want (with the default layout) - then add in your own graphics etc...

I downloaded the freeware version of WebCoder, is that one good enough (for a beginner, even)?

jpf
02-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Not only am I "not deep into web programming", I have NEVER done it before (hence all the silly questions!)
--btw, knowing that I've never done it, and know virtually NOTHING about this, is it still a worthwhile endeavor? Which leads me to my next question...

Yes - it is a good place to start getting into php scripting. However you should get a basic back ground on HTML first - there is alot of FREE HOW TO sites to learn from on that - or get a beginners book from the library.

How do I find that?

Read the manuals on the package you installed - it might have been a prompt that you might have filled in or accepted the default when you installed it. Packages vary - alot.

I downloaded the freeware version of WebCoder, is that one good enough (for a beginner, even)?
Not sure - never used it my self. I use a plain text editor. From my programming back ground - UltraEdit32 is one of the better text editors. If WebCoder is a text editor (or provides such) then it might do good.

Good Luck