PDA

View Full Version : OSC Max Download Support ?

johne281
05-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey guys I am interested in OSCmax because I am making an online store that sells digital downloads. I want to know the capabilities of OSCMax in this aspect. What do I need and how can it help me? Do you need any more info from me? Just ask.

jpf
05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes - digital downloads are available in stock osCMax.

See demo links below (yes the ADMIN is available to demo too).

Some feature are listed here:
What is osCMax? - osCMax - osCommerce Maximized (http://www.oscmax.com/what_is_oscmax_0)

What you need.....

For testing I would say WAMP or LAMP - See WAMP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAMP)

For production - a hosted Linux (preferred) or Winbow$ (not sugge$ted) web server - with up to date PHP and MySQL (version 4.x or 5.x) installed and phpMyAdmin (nearly default in 99% of servers with MySQL installed). Static IP - if planning to use your own SSL certificate - but is optional. Also optional: A credit card processor ie: Paypal or Authorize.net etc.... or similar merchant account processor that is supported. FTP client program and access to the server. Blank MySQL database name plus the MySQL username and password. And finally up to 15 minutes to install (not including FTP time to upload file).

Good luck!

johne281
05-11-2009, 05:27 PM
OK. So you suggest doing this on a Linux server? Why not Windows?

jpf
05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Security, flexibility, fixablity, costablity....

But seriously - anything with Windows depending on how things are put together - is a slow leak to a torrential down poor.

Internet was based on UNIX (which Linux and BSD are based on) environment. There is several work around to get / fixed / reprogramming of Unix tools and functions for it to work at a decent level on Windows. In the large server market - other than MS and a handful of corporation - very few run a pure MS based Server with MS Webserver (ISS) and tools - mostly for .NET capabilities or other thing other than web surfing. Look at any large server datacenters - Lunix/Unix/BSD out numbers Windows - and most of the Windows is running Apache which is primarily built for UNIX.

to quote About.com:

Advantages of Unix

- Unix is more flexible and can be installed on many different types of machines, including main-frame computers, supercomputers and micro-computers. (JPF- and different types of CPUs - which Windows can not - they killed that option after NT4.0)

- Unix is more stable and does not go down as often as Windows does, therefore requires less administration and maintenance.

- Unix has greater built-in security and permissions features than Windows.

- Unix possesses much greater processing power than Windows. (JPF- often 10 to 100 faster with comparable stress test loads)

- Unix is the leader in serving the Web. About 90% of the Internet relies on Unix operating systems running Apache, the world's most widely used Web server.

- Software upgrades from Microsoft often require the user to purchase new or more hardware or prerequisite software. That is not the case with Unix.

- The mostly free or inexpensive open-source operating systems, such as Linux and BSD, with their flexibility and control, are very attractive to (aspiring) computer wizards. Many of the smartest programmers are developing state-of-the-art software free of charge for the fast growing "open-source movement”.

It is not to say I don't have a few internet connected Windows Servers - but they are not web server (print, application, MS-SQL, and terminal servers).

I had a older Linux box running non-stop (no reboots - but several upgrades & updates - except for kernel) for a FULL 3 years straight - was just coming up to 999 days of uptime (it was in the area of about 975 days) - then the pulled the transformer for a swap out, on the building, on a weekend (I did not know). The UPS lasted about 1 hour - for the 2 hour swap! If I would have known - I would have rented a generator....JUST to see how long it would have run without needing a re-boot....

Powered up just fine and ran almost another year then was down graded to a print server.

Google has hundreds of thousands of PCs (not mainframes or super computers but recently have been using higher quality Gigabyte branded Motherboards (http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090401/GoogleServerLarge.jpg)) all over the world all running a custom version of - guess what - Linux! (even from day one).

Heck - If it works for them - it will work for me! (but then I have been working with Linux since before Google...)

ridexbuilder
05-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I like the reply JPF :cool: - mind if I maybe quote it?

jpf
05-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I like the reply JPF :cool: - mind if I maybe quote it?

As long as source is quoted as well (its the polite and correct thing to do).

ridexbuilder
05-12-2009, 08:04 AM
As long as source is quoted as well (its the polite and correct thing to do).
But of course :D

red_fraggle
05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Just a question on topic of digital downloads.

What server requirements (running FC 3) are required for downloadable products to work? We have one server they dont work on, the download works, but always results in a file of 0 bytes being downloaded.

Any ideas JPF?

jpf
05-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Not sure what FC 3 is?

If downloading does not work -it might be a php setting. (and I would check file/directory permissions)

ridexbuilder
05-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Not sure what FC 3 is? - presumably Fedora Core (Red Hat with a different bunnet on ;))

ridexbuilder
05-16-2009, 08:47 AM
but always results in a file of 0 bytes being downloadedIf not php/permissions related...
Could it not be that there's corruption at the PC end? - try a (really) large file and see if bytes are actually being transferred.

[Anyways, thought you're a CTO - you should be able to cope with this challenge :p:D]

red_fraggle
05-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes Fedora Core 3. I fixed this though. The dowloadable products module requires function_readfile to be enabled for this module and we disabled that function for a PCI compliance audit we had done.

For those having this issue, and your host wont enable function_readfile, you can replace the function call in the source code of the module with file_get_contents instead. Figure this might help a few people.

ridexbuilder
05-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice one. A very handy nugget of info. :nerd: