PDA

View Full Version : Uploading images into easy populate?

Kiwilefty
05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I have no problem with the easy populate as far as creating categories and sub categories however my eyes have glazed over with regards placing the images to each of my products via this easy populate

In the easy populate should I be creating a unique directory listing for each product in the image column of the easy populate?
My Categories will contain many different golf club makes and types so will be fairly extensive "eventually"

eg:Clubs/Cleveland/Driver/HiBoreXL/Stiff/Gold/Mens/Right Handed
Clubs/Cleveland/Driver/HiBoreXL/Stiff/Gold/Mens/Left Handed
etc.....

It could take a very long time uploading 1 image at a time using Admin area, is this made easier in the FTP Program which I am unfamiliar with??
Subsequently I had hoped that the User Manual would provide more info with regards this than is available.

Is there thread somewhere that leads me through the use of FTP and the image files ?

pgmarshall
05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Kiwilefty,

Basically Easypopulate just puts the filename in the relevant database table - it does not actually upload the images.

FileZilla is pretty good free FTP program which I use - basically it looks exactly like windows explorer and you simply drag and drop the file from your local drive the image folders on the server where your site is hosted.

It is probably worth reading some of the posts about Dynamic Mopics to get a handle on how the images structures work within OSCMAX. But basically you need to be aware of this basic structure:

catalog/images - where the default images go via admin
catalog/images/thumbs - dynamic mopic thumbnails
catalog/images/big_images - dynamic mopics big images (pop up)

You should also look to install Slimbox2 or Lightbox2 for a more professional look.

Hope this points you in the right direction

Regards,

Kiwilefty
05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Cheers thank you for help :)

Kiwilefty
05-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Thank you for the advice on the Image Upload, the issue I have at the moment is modifying the DB File via easy populate.
1- I have used Download Complete.csv file to edit downloaded to my pc, carried out what I believe to be correct addons to the file (wanted to see how changes affect store front before loading large items in) and subsequently Uploaded mod file using Upload and Import EP File all I seem to be doing is adding to the existing db is there any way in which to overwrite all that is in the shop db or clear what is in there and start again??
2 - I have found there are issues in the way in which I am creating my categories and sub categories , have you seen any threads that cover the pitfalls of category creation using db method?

pgmarshall
05-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Kiwilefty,

I think if you do the full download mode then Easypopulate deletes the old records and creates a new row in the dbase. If you use custom method and select the data you want to edit with the tick boxes then it updates ...

As for clearing the dbase you could go in via phpMyAdmin and delete the rows you no longer need - depends if you know a bit of SQL - I have also seen a clear database mod on the oscommerce site that may be worth installing (not done it myself)

Hope this helps,

jpf
05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
It could take a very long time uploading 1 image at a time using Admin area, is this made easier in the FTP Program which I am unfamiliar with??
Subsequently I had hoped that the User Manual would provide more info with regards this than is available.

Is there thread somewhere that leads me through the use of FTP and the image files ?

Simply FTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol) is a File Transfer Protocol.

you need a FTP client (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_client_software) to access your FTP server.

I use Filezilla as well. Search and download and install Filezilla (or FTP client of choice) See a link on Learn How to Use FTP Video (http://vodpod.com/watch/938806-learn-how-to-use-ftp).

After the easy install - you need some info from your webhost - the FTP Hostname/URL, user name and pass.

Enter that info into the main screen of Filezilla (look at the manual for setting up the site manager - for automatic login to your site)

Then browse on local site (your PC) and the Remote site (your web server)
(Note: it is best to setup a directory similar to your website's www or home directory.)
Then it is a mater of clicking the files/directory on the local site to upload to your remote site.

Also look up on how to chmod file (file permissions) on your version of FTP client.

Very quickly you will become a pro.

Good Luck

Kiwilefty
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Thank you for the heads up, I am learning at a great rate, my web site designer is also very helpful, however I am attempting to provide as musch input as I can myself.
Kind Regards
Brian Cronin