PDA

View Full Version : It's time for a new forum!!!

jamesanderson2
03-20-2009, 05:00 AM
osCommerce Online Merchant v3.0 Alpha 5
is out and it's hot to trot!! If they pay attention to some of my glitch and error reporting it will be flawless. And no offense, but it might not need a osCMax version because of its wealth of features within itself!!:cheers:

michael_s
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
I doubt it, there will always be a need for osCMax... we will just update to add missing features to the 3.0 branch. Yes there will be a 3.0 forum when it gets out of alpha.

Now, realize that 3.0 has been under development for about 5 years now, and it moves at a snails pace. We may not see a stable release for a long time, so don't hold your breath. In the mean time osCMax is here now, stable and working great.

jamesanderson2
03-21-2009, 05:01 AM
can we donate to make it go faster?

michael_s
03-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Donations will not speed anything up if history is any sort of measure. osCommerce development is sloooooooow.

"I could be wrong, but I don't think so."

;)

ridexbuilder
05-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Whilst on this subject....
Have the svn trunk moved/ceased in favour of git.
Last update I have is svn-osc3 Revision 1865
Ta.
:-)

michael_s
05-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Whilst on this subject....
Have the svn trunk moved/ceased in favour of git.
Last update I have is svn-osc3 Revision 1865
Ta.
:-)

Yes I think so.

jpf
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
The MAJOR issues with osCommerce Online Merchant v3.0...

- There focus/timeline/feature etc has been changing throughout the last 5 years. (3 or so years ago they had like 3 or 4 out of 12 points still yet to be completed--more than 1/2 done - hopefully to be release soon - they total changed it and like hardly anything was completed..)
- Code has changed ALOT over time between releases.
- IS 100% incompatible with all mods/addon/contributions from version 2.0. Most would need a total rewrite.
- Very few mods/addon/contribution for V3.0 Alpha 5 - have been made for or converted to date.
- Install base of osCommerce 2.0 code base and all variants (osCMax, CRELoaded, Cubecart and others) is in the hundreds of thousands of active installs. osCommerce 3.0 ???? - Unknown - maybe in the upper hundred or low thousands....maybe. And would be split between the several CVS, MS and Alpha releases over the last 5 years.
- Convert tool to move 2.0 to 3.0 does not exist. (or even from alpha 1/2/3/4 to 5)
- V3.0 is still much unproven code (unknown stable?) and is not gerneral accepted by there own community yet.
- Feature set not set in stone (many things add then dropped then added again over the years).
- We are not a programing house or have a ton of $$ to convert or rewrite the 100+ features that osCMax currently has that osCommerce 3.0 still does not have.

Just my point of view.

ridexbuilder
05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Absolutely right, of course :-) Interesting to see how things are developing/or not but that's about it. Only for the certified (mad) amongst us. ;)