PDA

View Full Version : Shipping items separatly

rkapuaala
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry, I'm new to this forum and posted this under the features forum thinking that it wasn't related to ups xml.

I am selling items that weigh a lot but usually folks will purchase two or more of these items and others in addition. I have to ship each item separately because of the weight and package size. Currently no matter what I do to the shipping configurations or the parameters on the shipping module the total weight of the itemS ordered is calculated and combined in the final charges. I need to have each item calculated as an individually shipped item and those charges added up under the total charges.
Is there anyway to do this that does not involve messing with the php script?

jpf
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Which shipping methods do you use? I have to assume UPS...

There is a option for MAX weight (150 lbs default) and a "tare" amount that is added to account for extra packaging weight etc... Lower the amount - typically say 55 to 60 lbs - then it will calculate by spliting up the shippment - however carefull --it will calculate on a even split....

ie: total shippment weight 115 lbs - max 55lbs per - tare wieght of say 5-----would calculate as 3 boxes of about 44lbs each (115/3 + 5 rounded up to nearest whole pound) - even thought one may weight about 60 pounds and another weights 55 - it may calculate for 3 boxes.....

rkapuaala
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes, ups is the method. I've tried that, but the problem is that there are 12 different products with 8 different weights. I know that ups default mode is deprecated, but I don't have an account to test the xml on and with the default ups mode, it doesn't even see the max weight or tare.
My items weigh 12lbs, 36 lbs, 45lbs, 55lbs and 65lbs. The packaging is quight large.

jpf
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Most have a TEST server you can test on.

Use a different shipping module - the one included is for general merchandise and is good for the majority of user - however in your situation - a minor differnce can be little or no profit or major overcharges.

You might even consider using a different fixed shipping module - like flat or per item or ....?

met00
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Another option is to create your own shipping module.

In this case have a table that shows all shipping configurations between your 12 products and then indicates the appropriate "weight" and "box" for each configuration. Then make a module that will call UPS the correct number of times passing in the proper weight for the configuration of the sale. Have the shipping module add the UPS results and show that as the shipping.

Sometimes the pre-package just doesn't work for a specific set of needs, you seem to have that case with shipping. Fortunately you don't have that many products so doing something like this will work.