PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

darah
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Greetings,

I started a while ago with the desire to make a site for my small specialty sports business. With website building software in hand I started only to have a friend say, "oh no, you really want to use CSS." So pause to learn CSS and since in all the web standards books it is paired with Transitional xhtml, that too. And as I did this I realized I wanted not just a site, but an ecommerce site. And somehow I found oscommerce, a good program for a girl on a budget-but it was clear I would need to learn other things: enough unix to enable me to muck about under the hood of my macintosh ibook, turn on php in the tiger operating system and access the built-in apache server, learn enough mysql to make new databases and find the ones I had already made and some php too. Somewhere along the way I found oscmax, for which I am greatful-very nice to have all those contributions pre-loaded and a community working on maintaining them.

However, as I worked on my oscmax site, with multiple versions on my ibook development server and another on the production server I had no good way of keeping track of all the changes I was making, whether to the look and feel of the site or bug fixes I have been plucking off your site. But my friend said, "you must learn Subversion, it is what everone uses to keep track of their changes." So off I went to learn another unix program, after which I was delighted to find that oscmax is maintained using Subversion--how convenient!

And now I am pondering subtler questions, for example the most effecient way to update stock on items with multiple attributes or why does the choice of traditional vs dhtml menus affect the url generated, which do I want and when and why would I reset the menu cache? Not to worry, I know this is not the place to ask such questions, I will bring them to the correct location within the forum. In the mean time thank you to Michael and jpf and everyone else who has worked on creating and maintaining oscmax. I enjoy working on my oscmax site and wish to contribute something back to this community-I'm sure oportunity will present itself. Cheers!

michael_s
09-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the osCMax community and thanks for the background. It is nice to know where our community members come from!

jpf
09-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks - and Welcome!

If you would like to help - you can do so many ways:

- Find and fix a bug - or look at the BUGTRACKER and see what you can handle.
- TEST OUT THE LATEST RC4 SVN and find/fix issues....
- Make an MOD or addition to OSCMAX (package up the file and "create a project here".
- Help answer other people posing here.
- $$$$...