PDA

View Full Version : Looking for other's experience

Collegenuthut
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I know there are many threads on the issue of upgrading from standard OSC to OScMax, that is not so much what I am looking for as I have read many posts on the subject.

What I am wanting to find out is people who have made this change how smooth of a transition they felt it was.

I am on the fence as to if I should make this upgrade or not, although I know I will eventually, but for my store with football season fast approaching when sales peak for me the timing might be better to wait until the Spring, but the features OScMax offers are those that I would really like to have in place in my store.

I do have a fairly heavily modified standard Osc Store (about 20 to 25 add ons) without any issues and over 2,000 products with 100-400 more products being added weekly.

My experience in resolving issues is pretty minimal, in any contributions I have added previously should as issue have arose I resolved it by comparing files from old to new to see what snipet of code may have missing or "off" to resolve the problem, with this upgrade I would prefer to do it in more of a manner of uploading the OScMax files individually to their respective place (while renaming the old ones to still remain in the server so I have them as a means of comparison should I need to revamp a couple files if something should break) rather than a self-unpacking unstall.

If anyone has any experience in making this transition from standard Osc to Osc Max, be it a horror story or a story of how easy it was I would love to hear it to help me decide if this is something I want to tackle now or put off to the spring.

Another concern that I have pertains to indexing. Since I already use a SEO contribution and my store is well established, I also have a concern with having to more or less start out from scratch with getting re-indexed on Google and Yahoo, additionally getting penalized with Google for possibly having duplicate URLs for the same item, or having to take the time to do redirects for over 2,000 URLs. Any input on this and how it is best addressed is also welcomed.

Collegenuthut
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
5 months and no one has any experience in making the transition? I guess I will stick with regular OSc where at least if a problem arises for anything responses and help come within a matter of hours usually.

jpf
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Once - Many years ago - See my posts on this forum.

michael_s
01-31-2009, 04:03 AM
I think you hit on an issue between the two.

The upgrade is too hard for the inexperienced and they do not attempt it, trivial for anyone with intermediate skills with php/mysql/html so not much to offer. I would say that 80-90% of our users start from scratch with osCMax, not doing an upgrade from osCommerce, so a small percentage of users actually will have any experience doing what you are doing.

That being said, there are also several really good posts here in the forums that detail the process step by step, or give specifics as to the ease or difficutly in transition.

I have upgraded well over 600 standard osCommerce shops to osCMax and it is a simple process, always goes smoothly. Just know that you will have to drop a lot of the db tables and data for your customizations in standard osC when switching to osCMax.

You will also have to strip out your design from standard osC and convert it to a new template.

All of these things are simple for someone who understands code and has a basic set of skills and tools.

A typical migration takes a couple of hours to complete and another hour or two to fully test. Since you are using a specific SEO-url system, it would be in your best interest to pre-install that into osCMax prior to migration, so that you can simply activate it and the urls will be identical - no penalty, no re-indexing. The change is invisible to spiders :)