PDA

View Full Version : Question on Free Shipping

Anonymous
11-05-2003, 02:19 AM
After reading posts in the forum, I understand that the concept of free shipping within OS Commerce is that if you set a product's weight to 0, this flags the product for free shipping, but OS Commerce then makes the assumption that these products with free weight are then going to be downloaded so does not record the customer's shipping info, instead inserting a , where is is supposed to go.

We sell no downloadable products, but offer free shipping on most of what we sell, so for these orders with free shipping offered, the area where delivery info is shown shows just a comma and we end up having to guess if it was actually meant to be the same as the billing for the customer, or we have to call to check with them ourselves.

Even stranger is that for some of the products offered with free shipping, rather than the orders coming through as above, everything works just fine, delivery info is there, and where the shipping total is supposed to show, it says free shipping.

I have looked at a product that we sell that comes through with no shipping detail, and one that has the detail and can not figure out what is the key as to why one comes through with delivery address info and not the other, if I knew, I would make it so every product with free shipping worked properly.

I am willing to pay someone that knows OS Commerce to diagnose and fix this problem. As Christmas approaches, more and more orders will be meant to be shipped to an address other than the billing address, and for these orders, we will have no idea where they are supposed to ship to.

Thanks,

Gary

thetraveller
11-05-2003, 07:36 AM
After reading posts in the forum, I understand that the concept of free shipping within OS Commerce is that if you set a product's weight to 0, this flags the product for free shipping, but OS Commerce then makes the assumption that these products with free weight are then going to be downloaded so does not record the customer's shipping info, instead inserting a , where is is supposed to go.

We sell no downloadable products, but offer free shipping on most of what we sell, so for these orders with free shipping offered, the area where delivery info is shown shows just a comma and we end up having to guess if it was actually meant to be the same as the billing for the customer, or we have to call to check with them ourselves.

Even stranger is that for some of the products offered with free shipping, rather than the orders coming through as above, everything works just fine, delivery info is there, and where the shipping total is supposed to show, it says free shipping.

I have looked at a product that we sell that comes through with no shipping detail, and one that has the detail and can not figure out what is the key as to why one comes through with delivery address info and not the other, if I knew, I would make it so every product with free shipping worked properly.

I am willing to pay someone that knows OS Commerce to diagnose and fix this problem. As Christmas approaches, more and more orders will be meant to be shipped to an address other than the billing address, and for these orders, we will have no idea where they are supposed to ship to.

Thanks,

Gary
Hi:

I have my store set to 'free shipping' on all products and it is working flawlessly.

I have a weight for all my items and I am using the 'free shipping' shipping module. All other shipping modules are turned off.

Is this the same set-up as you are using?

I nearly drove myself crazy with this until I was reminded that products need to have a weight. If there is no weight then OSCommerce views them as downloadable (or non-shippable) product. This works well for gift certificates as they are not shipped.

John

Anonymous
11-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi John,

I have a mixture of products that ship for free and then for other products we charge shipping on them so UPS shipping would need to be calculated on these. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Gary